Notices

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
To make things clear: You lost all of your data and settings through this mess!

Now in rd mode:
You have to correct the partition table.
Code:
sudo gainroot
echo "unit: sectors
> /dev/mmcblk0p1 : start= 64, size= 44400640, Id=0
> /dev/mmcblk0p2 : start=44744704, size= 16211968, Id=0
> /dev/mmcblk0p3 : start= 60956672, size=  1572864, Id=82
> /dev/mmcblk0p4 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0 " > table
sfdisk --no-reread /dev/mmcblk0 < table
These are three commands:
#1 sudo ... to gain the rights you might drop this in rd-mode
#2 echo ... over those 5 lines to create a file containing the informations for the partition table
#3 sfdisk ... dumps the file's content to the partition table part of the MBR.
This will create a 23GB MyDocs partition, a 8GB partition for installable applications (and plenty of space for nitdroid ) and a 750MB swap space.

Then reboot to check if the partition table is written correctly.

After the reboot check the partition table
Code:
sudo gainroot
sfdisk -l
If the values are correct, make the partitions active and apply file systems
Code:
sfdisk -c /dev/mmcblk0 1 c
mkfs.vfat -F32 -s64 -n MyDocs /dev/mmcblk0p1
sfdisk -c /dev/mmcblk0 2 83
mkfs.ext3 -L optfs /dev/mmcblk0p2
Now you are set to flash the firmware and use your partitions
I tried the codes first before flashing my emmc; and on the steps to ammend the table, all went well with no errors, but on restarting and querying the table, its the same as I had sent via my second last post.
I ignored the fact that there is no change and went on with the code;
sfdisk -c /dev/mmcblk0 1 c - g - gave this, "mkfs.vfat 3.0.1 (23 Nov 2008)
/dev/mmcblk0p1: No such file or directory"
This mkfs.ext3 -L optfs /dev/mmcblk0p2 gave "could not stat /dev/mmcblk0p2 --- no such file or directory.
The device apparently does not exist; did you specify it correctly?"

This is my output....

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Looks bad.

The second block of commands from the earlier post does notwork at all if the first is not applied successfully.
Would you, please, try the code again and post output file with you answer via screenshots
Code:
sudo gainroot
echo "unit: sectors
> /dev/mmcblk0p1 : start= 64, size= 44400640, Id=0
> /dev/mmcblk0p2 : start=44744704, size= 16211968, Id=0
> /dev/mmcblk0p3 : start= 60956672, size=  1572864, Id=82
> /dev/mmcblk0p4 : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0 " > table
sfdisk --no-reread /dev/mmcblk0 < table
Then reboot and run
Code:
sudo gainroot
sfdisk -l

Hey,

Gone to worse now, when I restarted again, the phone takes a long time to boot and then when its done, I select the menu, and it shows the menu first, but when I select an application, the phone does not do anything for a really long time - over 30 minutes. The backlight goes off and when I awake it, the highlight is still at the application I tapped on....

Am now downloading the two files as Elros had suggested I try to flash both vanilla and emmc....

Any advice will be greatly appreciated and thanks for helping me this far.

Regards,

Well the delay could be the system checking the non-existing=damaged file systems, nevertheless a full flash is what is the way to go. Could be that this will fix that partitioning scheme.

I intended to make the second partition larger for you, to skip this part while installing nitdroid. Here is the wiki article about flashing: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

Feel free to ask, if you are having difficulties with the article or the flashing procedure. Everyone is willing to help you succeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Hi guys, went dead silent for some time and here i am now with my phone fixed.
Yes indeed I lost all my data, important actually and for now am stuck thinking how to get my data back. There seemed to be a problem with the extension of the partition I did on GParted and the phone kept referring to it as unrecognized. I hence formatted my emmc and still it read as unrecognized. I then tried flashing the vanilla, which kept exiting with an error about 'raw data mismatch'. After several tries and fails, I changed to windows xp, tried using the NSU, which could detect the phone but could not analyze the phone data to determine if update is required.
I tried again on Linux to format the emmc and,...it went through but my mass memory was read only. I tried to format it but it was still read only (couldnt save, copy, delete etc anything from the drive)

I took this to the computer, formatted the mass memory and used NSU again, which now detected my device and updated the firmware to PR1.3 which am using for like 7 hours so far and this is great combined with the cssu update.

Michaa & Elros, if I could request, I'd like to run Kubuntu and Nitdroid and unfortunately can't use my mem card slot as it is not working, is it possible to partition to three partitions where I have enough workspace to run the three os's. Am not worried about storage as I am able to use OTG to an external hard disk.

Thank you guys, am glad am back up and going. GBU.

For partitioning: Well it is back to post #20 http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=20 and use all the code. Or back to gparted...

For Nitdroid: The above procedure would be sufficient to have enough space on the optfs partition.

For Kubuntu: The default Kubuntu setup is designated for an external card, but there are some workarounds somewhere in the dedicated thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87002

Tags
partitioning