Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I installed pine, but whenever I try to run it (from the xterm window) I get the message:

$ pine
Terminal type "xterm", is unknown
/ $

I did add http://repository.maemo.org/ mistral free non-free to my list of repositories, but none of the dependent packages (mime-support, libncurses5 or ncurses-base) show up in my list of installable applications.

(when I first tried to install pine, not having checked that the above repository was not in my list, I got a dependency error and pine refused to install. After updating the repository list, it installed fine)

I can only assume that the libraries were not installed, but how can I find them?

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
I installed pine, but whenever I try to run it (from the xterm window) I get the message:

$ pine
Terminal type "xterm", is unknown
/ $

I did add http://repository.maemo.org/ mistral free non-free to my list of repositories, but none of the dependent packages (mime-support, libncurses5 or ncurses-base) show up in my list of installable applications.

(when I first tried to install pine, not having checked that the above repository was not in my list, I got a dependency error and pine refused to install. After updating the repository list, it installed fine)

I can only assume that the libraries were not installed, but how can I find them?
as root, run apt-get install ncurses-base in xterm.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by cjackiewicz
as root, run apt-get install ncurses-base in xterm.
That did it! Thanks!

In hindsight, I should have remembered that: didn't it come up in another thread that ncurses has to be installed from the shell?

So how is Pine on the tablet as a mail/news client ?

Originally Posted by fpp
So how is Pine on the tablet as a mail/news client ?
I'll let y'all know. I'm not planning to use it as a mail client though. I'm completely taken over by Google Mail.

First impressions of pine (used exclusively as a Usenet agent):

It takes forever to get the simplest of things done with the virtual keyboard (the 770 was clearly never intended to be a console-driven workstation).

I can manually subscribe to newsgroups, but after subscribing to one (1!) newsgroup, the 770 spontaneously rebooted while downloading the articles list.

After reboot, pine's all screwed up: it can't remember my newsserver, insists on usernames and passwords (which it should be getting from the router anyway) and generally does nothing anymore.

Premature conclusion: pine's a pain on my 770. I'll give it another go tonight, but unless some miracle happens, it goes down the black hole.

<sigh> I'll have to settle for Google Groups I guess...

Naaah. Wait for Abiword+Gnumeric, then install Pan :-))))))))))))

Originally Posted by fpp
Naaah. Wait for Abiword+Gnumeric, then install Pan :-))))))))))))
It may sometimes not seem like it, but I really am a patient man.

I'll 2nd Pan. I tried pine as well then loaded Pan and have been using it since. Does everything I need it to, plus has a great filtering option.

Setting it up was a chore, but the trick I found was to place any newsgroup like *something* into the group search field ( I believe this is what it's called since I don't have my 770 with me to verify). and it will work. If I left the search line open it would stall ( due to the excessive amounts of newsgroups if would have to list ).

Negatives:

It is a large program ( but I set it up to store articles onto my RS-MMC for offline reading).

Can't minimize the program without it crashing.

Sometimes the program hangs. I learned to open Task Manager before loading Pan in case it hangs. When it does I have used Task Manager to kill Pan.