Active Topics

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Right. OK. Well, i'm afraid I've bought enough from ebay to make this slow internet connection useful. I think I've got to draw the line here. Thanks for the info though.

My guess is that if you install something through the stock browser, you will be charged some data fees. Most probably you are already paying $1 per day extra for internet access, which I don't.

I don't think so. I mean, I'll wait a few days, but these instructions suggest it's totally free.

But now I'm curious. If you didn't follow these instructions, and if the instructions you followed make no mention of tekniwap, then how did you enable free internet on i605??

Because the iDEN network is always in the background, whether you use it or not. There is no need to "enable" it. All I did was to bypass the stock browser (to avoid charges) and use the Opera Mini to access internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Ahh, I see. So opera finds its way to the always-on connection in a manner similar to how the n8x0 does it.

The instructions I link to show you how to get free internet with the stock browser.

OK, now I remember. I read that if you see a "world" icon on your screen, then you have internet access (I got it on my used i605). Otherwise, you need to call Boost to have it enabled. The trick is to tell them that you want to download ring tones (business for them). Don't mention internet access, or they will try to sell you the $1 per day data plan.

As long as you have text messaging enabled, you'll have the always-on internet connection in the background. (when I set up boost a year ago, I had to wait a few hours after the initial activation for this to become active.) But until today, I could only access that internet connection via the n8x0. The stock browser did not work. Then I found these instructions, and now I can use the stock browser to access the web. It'd be nice to have opera mini, as well. But I can't justify spending more money to use this slow internet connection. Still, it's nice to have in a pinch.

I understand, but you better check your account to see if you are being charged for data. I have mine for about a year, and have accessed internet from time to time, but almost all my minutes are still there (I pay $10 every three months).

Well, I have been using the slow internet from boost/i605 for a year now via the n800 and have used no minutes by doing so. And while caution is definitely warranted, the testimony of others on that forum suggest that this new method I discovered today is just a way do the same using the stock browser.

Anyway, I'll report back if I end up getting charged for this.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
There are two tcp/ip pipes used by iDEN (actually 3 but 1 is for Voice Mail and Network management).

The one the built in browser uses is free but it only has access to a "walled garden". That is, the browser only links to carrier specified pages. What TekniWap does is take advantage of the 'net alert" system that basically allows links from outside the "walls" to be sent to the phone via enhanced text messages. These links can only be viewed by the phones built in, OpenWave browser. If you tether your tablet to the phone, this is the pipe you use. Now you are outside their walls and you have a larger screen and are using a better browser.

Opera Mini is a Java app and Java apps use an HTTP socks connection through a different pipe. You used to have to pay for this connection to be turned on however, on Boost it now may be provided free of charge. IDK, I use a company provided iDEN phone that has always had everything provisioned. Since I don't pay the bill and I don't use Boost, I don't currently know what the carrier provides for free.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-03-20 at 21:18. Reason: Speeling

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post: