Active Topics

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I couldn't post my thoughts on the ustream show, but this what I thought of the 2/3 part:

I think the map app in the background was the culprit when the browser went unresponsive. The map app seems to be the absolutely worst app on the N900, and if the map app on the N900 is similar to the plugin that runs even on a mac (that you can install on a desktop PC), then by not using the map app, web performance should be improved.
In 3/3 he claims that the N900 is the first Nokia phone to have hardware 3D. Not true. E90, N82, N93, N93i, N95 and N95 8GB have (I my memory serves me correctly) HW 3D.

Last edited by Mandibela; 2009-10-13 at 14:42.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by 77h View Post
Re open. He had a point. I am an enduser and have the "very open" ubuntu but (half of the stuff) some stuff won't work because I am not a programmer myself
With the exception of actual programming languages there really shouldn't be anything on an Ubuntu system that even comes close to requiring you to be able to program.

and I haven't yet figured out how to install some programs.
Anything in particular?

The Linuxians then are very helpful but use the Linux slang which a tech interested enduser won't understand. This is the point I believe jkk wanted to bring across.
I think that's for two main reasons; partly people like to feel that the people they're helping are actually prepared to put some effort in themselves, rather than demanding to be spoonfed everything, and partly because people don't know your level of expertise and don't want to treat you like an idiot unless or until there are grounds to do so

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Just got a chance to watch the UStream videos..

What a great session. Chippy did a great job in presenting the device and moderating the chat to present many viewpoints fairly. It's unfortunate JKK haven't got an N900 unit to play with longer, cause he's also very knowledgeable in mobile gears.

I think JKK's comment about how 'closed' a linux platform feels in the hands of 'noobs' (his own words) is very thought provoking and should be taken into much consideration by UX\UI designers.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: