Active Topics

Originally Posted by earthling View Post
You are implying that the reasons for not getting an application into the semi-official repos will be purely technical. That there will be no market reasons, no personal reasons, none of that stuff. That would be the first time, but we can hope.
The moment it comes down to Nokia controlling what goes into the repositories for marketing and political reasons then maemo.org will have far more problems.

I am not saying that there is bad intent, I said that there <i>is</i> more control this way, not what such control would be used for.
There is no additional control. Instead of having a simple GUI to do it you have to go down to the console, switch to root, and do it. I increasingly get the sense that users begging for it back are not regular users of Linux.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-01-31 at 04:42.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Niagara
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The moment it comes down to Nokia controlling what goes into the repositories for marketing and political reasons then maemo.org will have far more problems.

There is no additional control. Instead of having a simple GUI to do it you have to go down to the control, switch to root, and do it. I increasingly get the sense that users begging for it back are not regular users of Linux.
Sigh. I am just saying that there will be personal disagreements on maemo.org about what is encouraged and discouraged on places like maemo.org. There always are personal issues eventually.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Ragnar: You say that "features are not free." That is true with one exception. Features that have already been created are free thenceforth. Removing a feature that already exists is not free.
Not true, features always cost in terms of added QA and increased complexity. Just because it's been coded, doesn't mean it's done causing trouble.

Besides, with Nokia's Ovi architecture it would have made things significantly more complicated, even, than that.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The argument was stated that the decision was made because users voted against the feature. The majority has spoken, was the basic claim.
Actually, the decision was based on two factors, a discussion on maemo-developers arriving at a consensus that Red Pill caused more harm than it was worth, and the reality that Nokia's Ovi Store architecture is a bit of a joke. In that order.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Directly using dpkg could be dangerous, but...
doesn't the n900 have apt-get? (I don't have one, so I don't know)
Coming from a big linux distro with excellent package management, I never could make any sense of the red pill thing, so I use apt-get. In my experience it is easier, faster and safer.
While I think that removing features is not a good thing, in this particular case I think it is better for everyone.