Active Topics

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
We are also working in a checklist for developers with all the links, in order to smooth the testing process: http://wiki.maemo.org/Prepare_your_a...on_for_testing
Perhaps you can add in something about backups? There seems to be quite a few apps which are not adding themselves to the backup system.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Perhaps you can add in something about backups? There seems to be quite a few apps which are not adding themselves to the backup system.
Good point, need to search for appropriated docs.

As a recommendation yes, as a rule no, since we need several months of discussion before that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I've split this discussion off from the bugtracker link thread, as these posts weren't on-topic in there but raise a point worthy of further discussion.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-03-08 at 20:19. Reason: typo correction

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK

As a recommendation yes, as a rule no, since we need several months of discussion before that
Definitely a recommendation, yes - I'm not sure that backups are appropriate for all applications anyway. I think that the backup configuration has just been fallen off the radar for most developers, so a reminder (and pointer to any documentation) would definitely help.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
If no objections are raised against this proposal, I'd like to see it become a SHOULD reasonably quickly. It shouldn't block promotion, but it should be an encouraged practice for applications where it makes sense.

Then, if registering for backup is thought critical enough to be a MUST, I think the date for that should be announced well--as in "months"--in advance to give developers time to plan for it. Also, exceptions to the rule should be allowed, of course. Items like the 2G/3G/Both applet shouldn't have their states backed up and restored, and I'm sure there are plenty of other, similar examples.

EDIT: Rob1n beat me to it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...up_Application if I understood you correctly. Programs using GConf get this functionality thrown in for free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...up_Application if I understood you correctly.
Note that this documentation is incomplete / out of date for Fremantle. See bug 6250 for details (and 6178 for background).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Note that this documentation is incomplete / out of date for Fremantle. See bug 6250 for details (and 6178 for background).
Glad I haven't used it then; the standard set of files in /etc/osso-backup/applications constitutes as "documentation" for me.