Active Topics

OK I know this might be better as a brainstorm but I thought it might be a good idea to discuss its feasibility before creating one.

I recently bought myself a spare battery and started wondering whether it would be possible to change the battery without having to save and close what I'm working on then reopen them again. Hibernate seems to be a solution to this. Any thoughts?

I wonder why phone manufacturer haven't developed a hardware solution where a capacitor with enough juice for say one minute allows it to have enough power while you change the battery. A type of UPS for phones. size perhaps?

Personally I'd prefer to have this:

Ulysse Nardin Chairman, features a watch rotor for kinetic charging <3

The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPand0r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Makati, Philippines
It isn't hibernating, but I think some phones can let you remove/change batteries without turning it off, as long as you have the phone adapter/charger connected to it (kinda like what I do with my laptop). I dunno if that works on my N900, though.

But doing that kinda defeats the purpose of changing the battery in the first place, so... yeah.

Last edited by JMacalinao; 2010-04-25 at 03:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to JMacalinao For This Useful Post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33682
TLDR: No one seem to care enough to get enough drive behind such an effort. Here's the only useful post

I wonder why phone manufacturer haven't developed a hardware solution where a capacitor with enough juice for say one minute allows it to have enough power while you change the battery. A type of UPS for phones. size perhaps?
probably in the interest of the 95% of people who will purchase the phone and never change their battery, making the extra cost and weight useless :P. Storing that much electricity in a capacitor likely wouldn't do your phone any favors if it were to become submerged in water either.

Last edited by notnarb; 2010-04-25 at 03:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notnarb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
Personally I'd prefer to have this:

Ulysse Nardin Chairman, features a watch rotor for kinetic charging <3
huh, thought that was fake, but looks like its REAL! WTF

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Hibernating is basically, dump RAM to disk, power off, power on, restore RAM from disk.
It can be done, how, I don't have the slightest idea.

So, ho do you get that (the Ulysse) installed in the N900?

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Stuttgart/Germany
Hi,
maybe someone's interested in the fact, that when the device is powered off and you change the batteries fast enough (under like 4 seconds no battery connect) the clock stays set at the right time.

I'd also like to have a hibernate mode, but I think that would need a swap space, maybe a swap file would work?
I have no charging by usb, because I couldn't repair the broken usb port yet.