The problem is that you can only send files with known (to OS) extension through Harmattan ShareUI.

Is there any way to automatically register needed file extension so you can send it (via email, bluetooth, etc.) easily using, for example, File Box?
Or, maybe, other workarounds?

Last edited by PIDk; 2012-07-17 at 09:37.

Bumping question.

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
You can send and receive any file with any extension through the share thing. Just use FileBox - tap and hold an item with unknown extension and select share. It'll show up with a red box instead of a preview in the share page (check screenshot) but it'll still send the file.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
You can send and receive any file with any extension through the share thing. Just use FileBox - tap and hold an item with unknown extension and select share. It'll show up with a red box instead of a preview in the share page (check screenshot) but it'll still send the file.
Nah, ShareUI doesn't work with any extensions. It works only with something it knows. For example, in Filebox i'm trying to send .zip file - and it's not working. But .rar works ok. And, yeah, .psd also works. But I can't send .deb, .apk, .rom, .py... Try it yourself.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I just tried .zip, .deb, .apk all work...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I just tried .zip, .deb, .apk all work...
I think I found why it's not working for me. All files I tried to send were in some folders in MyDocs. So, if file is in /home/user/MyDocs (root of MyDocs) - i can send it. But if it is in, for example, /home/user/MyDocs/some_folder (subfolder of MyDocs) - it's not working. Probably it has something to do with tracker.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by PIDk View Post
I think I found why it's not working for me. All files I tried to send were in some folders in MyDocs. So, if file is in /home/user/MyDocs (root of MyDocs) - i can send it. But if it is in, for example, /home/user/MyDocs/some_folder (subfolder of MyDocs) - it's not working. Probably it has something to do with tracker.
The files i told you about were in ~/MyDocs/Downloads/

can you check if /home/user/.config/user-dirs.dirs is correct?

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
The screenshot I took was from a file in MyDocs/Downloads/Projects. So it does work for any file extension from anywhere.

Maybe it's a specific issue just for your N9.. because I can't think of anything that could mess with file transfer

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

user-dirs.dirs is in perfect condition. But I included every non-specific subfolder of MyDocs to "NOT to crawl" key of tracker-miner-fs.cfg
Including /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads.

So this is why I can't share files from this folders. When I creating new MyDocs subfolder and trying to share random file from it - everything goes alright. But if I add it to "NOT to crawl" and update tracker database, I can't share a thing.