Active Topics

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Netherlands
Vodafone brings in the near future two smartphones on the market that are running on Linux Mobile , the H1 and the M1.
Maemo is also a Linux based OS but can you compare LiMo with Maemo 5 and run the same software ?
Or must I see LiMo more like Android , running on the Linux kernel and managed code java language.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
LiMo is developed by the LiMo Foundation (founded by a group of cellular handset makers and network operators) for handheld devices, and is based on the Linux operating system.[1] It has a modular plug-in architecture, and supports DRM. LiMo application developers will be able to use SDKs to write managed code running in a Java virtual machine, browser apps for WebKit, and native code.
source: Wikipedia

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
LiMo, AFAIK, is a proprietary stack running on top on Linux. Android and Maemo are MUCH MUCH more open source than it.

Basically, all the phone companies are lazy, so they came together to make a open-source kernel and middleware to run their platform on. Like TiVo, Archos, and other companies that use Linux, the platform itself is locked down with proprietary interfaces and the like, so its harder to hack in that sense.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
LiMo, AFAIK, is a proprietary stack running on top on Linux.
Sounds like WebOS .

Yet LiMo allows Java, web applications and native.

That is more than say iPhoneOS (not allow any interpreter, only JavaScript or sth is allowed, no Flash no Java no emulators) or Android (only 'Java' and web applications).

I'm not claiming I know it all but there deserves to be a more detailed answer to the question how much of LiMo is proprietary, and which parts exactly.

Android and Maemo are MUCH MUCH more open source than it.

Basically, all the phone companies are lazy, so they came together to make a open-source kernel and middleware to run their platform on. Like TiVo, Archos, and other companies that use Linux, the platform itself is locked down with proprietary interfaces and the like, so its harder to hack in that sense.
Vodafone is rather a telco.

Archos runs Linux + Android. HTC runs Linux + Android. WebOS runs Linux. Yet they all contain proprietary bits too.

Any open OS can be closed down by design (and hacked by enthusiasts). Does not matter if its Android or Maemo or whatever.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I'm not claiming I know it all but there deserves to be a more detailed answer to the question how much of LiMo is proprietary, and which parts exactly.
Their governance model is pretty evil. You gotta pay large sums of money to be involved and use the product. LiMo is one platform we should just forget about and move on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: