Notices

Ok so, I got an N800- actually I liked it so much I got a second one! (Roughly $50 each on ebay -one had no charger(+2gbSDmini), the other had a faulty one and a minor crack in the screen(protector?)) ...after I read some of Den's posts about how awesome it is and I tend to agree.

I then set about attempting to find a way to play avi' s stored on my laptop on the N800 via wifi. Before I continue, I spent a day combing and searching here, and found no solution, other than attempting Knots2. I apologize if I'm missing some bonehead thing that's been covered before etc.

I have a RangeMax 802.11b/g/n router about 75 feet away and I get a decent signal, so I think I should be able to play vids over the network to my N800 without it dropping after 15 sec., right? I think that if I can watch youtube, then my wifi should be able to handle this, am I right? I mean, my router isn't dropping my connection or anything, so I it can't be a weak signal can it?

After I post this, I'm going to reboot and try knots again as it just occurred to me that perhaps a reboot is required to complete installation. I don't think so though because it was almost working. It will start to play, but with no video i.e. it has the 00:01...00:02, counting as if playing, but with a black screen, and (at best) it will get to five or ten a few times and start over at zero THEN begin to play from zero...for a few seconds(seems somewhat random, but not more than about 15sec). And now even though it still does this and taskmanager in WINXP shows knots etc. is running, I can't access localhost:/1978 to fiddle with settings etc. (perhaps reboot will help)

Before that, I tried Canola. I installed it all, and set up my network shares, and thought canola would recognize them somehow- nope. It appears that requires an actual server app on the laptop, which I may try with tversity next. Didn't seem to with Knots server+ Canola. When running knots2, neither Canola nor MediaBox detect it. - BUT, Knots2 client on nokia will stream with the knots server- for a few seconds as I said.

Then I just went to the file manager and confirmed that the files were available over the network. Then I tried to play them through it.

So, I play an avi out of a shared folder and after a moment it says "stream not found" - then I go to "shared folders" and had to try twice, but it buffered, and played...for exactly 15 seconds. :-( This is every time to. And sometimes it says stream not found.

Then I went to Knots2 and as I mentioned, I now can't access localhost:1978 (But I would think rebooting may fix localhost not showing up.)

Then...finally, I installed MediaBox. I have my network shares shared and knots server running, and as I understand it, my networked/shared media should show up in "Storage and Network" - well only "File System" shows up there. (The N800's local file system none of my shared media) and so unless I'm missing something here, MediaBox is just not picking up my shared media and I have no idea where to go from there, except perhaps reboot my laptop or install vlc1.0.5 - I'm using 1.1.4
And when using vlc and selecting stream etc. on my laptop and try to access the stream it's still the same problem. Router/software/Me? Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.

BTW- this is pretty much the same on both N800's, both running different versions of OS2008, with the older version cutting out sooner etc. I tried to flash to the current one one the 'cracked' nokia and it hung on boot, so I had to use an earlier version. Could it be that it needs to be the latest version of OS2008 for this to all work?

Sorry for being long-winded, I just can't figure out what the problem is, that would make knots2/canola2/mediabox all not do what I want.
I'm HOPING it's just something I missed or something and you guys can tell me what I did wrong.