Active Topics

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Hi,
How do I recover the passwords for SIP / IM accounts stored on the N900?

Thx.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by NiQ View Post
Hi,
How do I recover the passwords for SIP / IM accounts stored on the N900?

Thx.
For Skype and perhaps other IM accounts like google through the microb, see here.
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
OK I ran into that problem again so in case I or anyone else needs this information:
To recover a SIP / IM password look in the ~/.rtcom-accounts/accounts.cfg file, locate the account you're looking for and look at the top of its configuration for its section name. It'll look like [sofiasip/sip/whatever] for SIP accounts and or [gabble/jabber/whatever] for IM accounts.
Then just run:
mc-tool show <account>
Where <account> is the account name (everything that was in the square brackets in the accounts.cfg file excluding the brackets themselves).

Good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiQ For This Useful Post:
I have an N9 and wold like to recover the password of my skype account. I localized the account but when I type mc-tool show (account) I can't see any password.
Is there any possibility to view the password I have put in?

The Following User Says Thank You to illo1977 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I debated making a new thread to make a ocmplete/proper tutorial, because the information here is lacking, but I ultimately decided it would be fine to just correct these two VERY important [edit: by "VERY", I mean it's important to your ability to recover your passwords, not life/device/OS endangering] things:

1. mc-tool is NOT installed by default on the N900. It might be on the N9(50), wouldn't know. To get it, you need to install the package "libmissioncontrol-utils".

This won't show up in the app manager by default, so either do it from the command-line, or if you're using Faster Application Manager, you can make it display it by going into the category filter (the C button) and selecting "All Packages (ADVANCED)". It's in both the Fremantle SDK repos (slightly newer version) and the Nokia SSU repo, and the Nokia applications repo, so it should show up for anyone who hasn't disabled the Nokia SSU and applications repos (and if you have, I assume you know what you're doing enough to get the package without further help)

2. "mc-tool show" will not work correctly if ran as root - it'll just do nothing (that I've noticed), never returning. Run it as your regular user, without root.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2012-12-02 at 22:53. Reason: Clarification

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Also, in the process of figuring this out... funny story, between trying "mc-tool" on my N900, and realizing I should google that command to find out what package it belongs to, there was at least 12 hours of me making futile efforts to figure out where the account information was stored, what processes accessed it, and how to decrypt it.

Turns out the IM/SIP account info is:

...stored in /home/user/.signond/user_db.xml (half-way through my search I figured out this is already obscure but known knowledge in this community, because once I deduced the file name [with primitive methods like df, "find -xdev -e ls -l\;", and grep], I found it cropping up in google search results of the maemo irc logs, but by then it didn't tell me anything new)

...not actually an XML file, but rather some encrypted/binary thing.

...has somehow-encoded XML in it, as the ltrace of signond indicates it's making calls to the libxml2 library when it's modifying it (well, right before it modifies it, as I understand it) [Edit: Actually, I'm not 100% sure that it is calling libxml2, because all the ltrace reveals are the function calls, but googling the function calls xmlMemGet, xmlMemSetup, xmlStrEqual and xmlGetProp, matches up with the function names of that library]

...is, during regular run-time, never actually read (based on using inotify on it to see what file access events are detected for that file). Whenever you create/delete an account, it is overwritten by signond, without being read first. Whenever you log in to your IM/SIP accounts, it's not actually read at all. Which suggests that it's read at boot-up or around then, and then the decrypted xml is stored in memory somewhere, and if you make a change to your Accounts configuration (add/delete/edit an account), it modifies it in-memory, and then re-encrypts and overwrites the file.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2012-12-02 at 22:27. Reason: Clarification on libxml2 deduction

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: