Active Topics

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Hello,

i have the problem that, if i start a phone call, sometime my screen gets blank (black) like if i put it on my ear (so i cant use the speaker a.s.o.).

I thought the update would help but today i get the same bug... But i mentioned, that, if i put my device in horizontal position while it is black, the screen re-apears, but if i take it and hold it in my hands (in portrait mode) the screen gets black again...
My rotation settings of the phone app is only portrait mode with activating if i hold it in portrait mode in my hands

Maybe its a rotation problem of the accelerator sensors...

Anyone has the same problem or am i the only one?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Sounds more like a proximity sensor problem. Is there anything covering it (it's on the left, just below the front camera)?

i have the exact same problem and i'm pretty sure it's caused by my screen protector.

it'd be nice if we could tweak the minimum threshold for blacking out the screen when on the phone.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by ang View Post
i have the exact same problem and i'm pretty sure it's caused by my screen protector.

it'd be nice if we could tweak the minimum threshold for blacking out the screen when on the phone.
the proximity sensor is working fine as far as i can see... if i dont have this problem, it gets blank while holding it on my ear.

i have a screenprotector, but i dont think that this is the problem, the sensor is working fine all the time when this problem doesnt happen. A friend of me has the same protector and doesnt have this problem... The protector has a light troughput (?) of 98%, that should be enough...

i think, because the screen reappears when holding it in horizontal position it should be a problem of the accelerometers (is the word correct?), which tells the phone in which position it is. If i turn off the activation if holding in portrait mode, the problem doesnt appears...

right now, the problem is gone, also with auto activation, but i think this will happen again (like it did a few weeks ago)

Last edited by Brock; 2010-01-15 at 14:25.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Hello,

i have the problem that, if i start a phone call, sometime my screen gets blank (black) like if i put it on my ear (so i cant use the speaker a.s.o.).
Hehe, this is a feature, it's meant so that a) you save power while talking (Because you're holding the phone to your ear anyway)
b) So your head doesn't push anything on the screen by accident

The proximity sensor is on the top right side of the phone (When you hold it in portrait mode).. When it's blocked, the screen goes dark (Only in a phone call).

It's also being used as a button in various apps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to late666 For This Useful Post:
Yes, this is definitely by design.

During this time the touchscreen is disabled, so that you can't hang up on the caller by pressing the phone against your face.

i think you misunderstood me a little bit. that the screen disapears while i hold it on my ear is normal and a good think, like you mentioned, but my display gets black while making a phone call and holding it in my hands (e.g. to use the external speaker).

What i didnt mentioned before is that, after the other person has hang up, the screen still stays black and i have to unlock my phone (swipe to unlock). yes, its locked then... remember, i made the phone call and unlocked the device before

Last edited by Brock; 2010-01-15 at 14:57.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
i think you misunderstood me a little bit. that the screen disapears while i hold it on my ear is normal and a good think, like you mentioned, but my display gets black while making a phone call and holding it in my hands (e.g. to use the external speaker).

What i didnt mentioned before is that, after the other person has hang up, the screen still stays black and i have to unlock my phone (swipe to unlock). yes, its locked then... remember, i made the phone call and unlocked the device before
Right, that's why I mentioned the location of the proximity, because you might be putting your hand over the sensor when holding the phone..

As for the other thing- if you get a call while your phone is locked it will return re-lock once you end the call no matter what you did with the phone during the call..
So the second thing is, again, by design, and makes sense..
The first thing might be a bug.. But I think you might be putting your finger over the sensor without realizing it.

Hello,

I thought the update would help but today i get the same bug... But i mentioned, that, if i put my device in horizontal position while it is black, the screen re-apears, but if i take it and hold it in my hands (in portrait mode) the screen gets black again...
My rotation settings of the phone app is only portrait mode with activating if i hold it in portrait mode in my hands

Maybe its a rotation problem of the accelerator sensors...

Anyone has the same problem or am i the only one?
I have a similar problem. Blank screen for a while. Happens randomly when I get an incoming call. No answer button just blank screen with phone ringing. Takes close to five seconds for the screen to light up. Have missed an important call like that.

In addition to happening randomly it always happens if I get a call when keyboard is open. Screen lights up but once I close the keyboard I am left with a blank screen. I now have to remember to answer the phone before closing the keyboard to avoid this annoying problem.

Originally Posted by late666 View Post
Right, that's why I mentioned the location of the proximity, because you might be putting your hand over the sensor when holding the phone..

As for the other thing- if you get a call while your phone is locked it will return re-lock once you end the call no matter what you did with the phone during the call..
So the second thing is, again, by design, and makes sense..
The first thing might be a bug.. But I think you might be putting your finger over the sensor without realizing it.
I think you still didnt understood my problem...

For example: My device is unlocked and i make a phone call while i hold it in my hand (in portrait mode) the screen gets black. nothing is on the proximity sensor covering it. If I hold my device horizontal, the screen reappairs and i am able to use the screen to activate e.g. the external speaker, but if i hold it in portrait mode again, the screen disappears again.

After i missed the call, the device is locked, but remember, i had unlocked the device manually before making the phone call.

It happened also that i get a phone call holding the device in portrait mode with a blank screen (device was NOT locked) and was able to unlock the device wo see the screen...

I hope you understand now, what is happening on my n900...

I have a screen protector on it, but I dont think that the protector makes problems with the proximity sensor... most times when I dont have this problem, the sensor works fine (screen gets black when i hold it on my head)

Last edited by Brock; 2010-01-19 at 13:01.

Tags
black, black screen, blank screen, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, phone call, proximity sensor