Active Topics

Poll: n900 faulty ?
Poll Options
n900 faulty ?

my nokia n900 has given me problem straight out the box .

and now i can not even connect to any network

i have the latest version installed 20.2010.36-2.203.1

the sim is ok , i can get contacts but unable to connect to network .

when i go to manually select network the list is blank .

i am not a genius or a computer programmer nor do i use linux or unbuntu .(yes i am a simpleton)

any simple help would be appriciated .

others must have this issue. please help
as vodafone are useless

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
There has been a few threads about No network connectivity whilst SIM card is inserted and a few solutions have popped up though not all of them are guaranteed to work. I would suggest you to first search through the forums and follow through.

Poor battery life could be caused by numerous problems. Again there are loads of threads that you can read up on and follow through to try and alleviate poor battery life.

USB port faulty could be a hardware issue (notably with the device). If your device is still under warranty I would quickly get your device fixed by nokia care before your warranty runs out. Also if you are still under warranty, make sure you read the fine prints that they may state. For instance, lots of numerous N900 owners have had their device replaced by an equivalent type which is not a N900. Again there's a bunch of threads about this and about USB connectivity issues.

well i will never buy nokia again

i will never get my phone repaired by car phone warehouse either (gave me it back screw tips damage and screw fallen out)

then said no to a further repair

nokia promised big things at launch

operating system and apps

os development stopped and so did the apps only thing that keeps it going is the users

well i have just binned it my n900 as that is all it is SCRAP .

any suggestions for a new hanset . were u dont need to be a programmer to use the thing . and were the os in not going to go belly up in the first few months

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Many N900/ex-N900 owners have came and pretty much said the same thing as you did with nokia's attitude towards the maemo platform.

You do realise that the maemo platform in the first place was really for the niche community. It wasn't until they got desperate with N900 in trying to pull maemo in line with symbian devices and hoped that maemo would really succeed. The irony is that N900 has flaws in both hardware and software that could be seen as bright as a daylight, not to mention nokia missing the boat on launch date which may have also impaired the needed market penetration.

Also the N900 itself was launched roughly two years ago, so its not really a few months before nokia decided to bail out and leave the community hanging but its inevitable thanks to Flop (yes I deliberately misspelt Elop as Flop for many reasons).

The only reason that kept me interested in N900 from day one was that it was a proper linux device, I didn't care about the brand name, I didn't care about the model number, I only cared about the hardware it packed at the time and its native operating system plus its core features.

I guess its inevitable that your device was not treated with care once it was being repaired by some other people. It also sounds like as if they don't even have the right tools to fix your device in the first place.

As for suggestions on a new handset (well not that N900 was a proper handset in the first place but nevertheless it does have some features of what a handset is supposed to have), I probably wouldn't be looking at nokia because they're currently in the transitioning period of getting rid of maemo/meego and potentially even symbian platforms. Then again its a good idea to post similar questions in the right area of the forum under competitors where you may find decent reviews on alternatives to maemo/nokia. Good luck!

P.S. I wouldn't say N900 requires one to be a programmer to use the device, I'm sure there are a few N900 owners on here that just get by using N900 apart from programming. Have a look at some of the artists that drew images with only the stylus that comes with the device. Then some people whom uses N900 for video surveillance, webcam, wifi dongle, etc.

I have to admit that N900 is a geeky device on the contrary but it doesn't mean that N900 should only be used by geeks.