Active Topics

Q: Is there a way to disable the Home button?

I tweaked gngeo so that it disables xsp on exit.
Then I re-enabled the gngeo mapping of quit to the esc button, it was the home button.

I did that so xgngeo wouldn't be hidden in the background but still running on exit.
That all works, but if I hit Home now, I get my desktop back, xsp enabled, and gngeo still running. ;(

I will probably just map esc and home to quit, but that will still leave the xgngeo issue.

What would be best would be to disable the Home button while gngeo is running.

Thanks

desiv

Well, I've been looking around, and I think the vncviewer source has that disabled.

I just have to figure it out now.

I'll let you know if I get it.

desiv

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Why not make a script that xmodmap's the home key to some nonfunctional button and remaps it on exit? And kciconsbox shows hidden windows or you can use that command from Benson (matchbox-remove -next (or right, I'm not sure))

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-07 at 15:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Code:
matchbox-remote -next
or -prev; it takes other options too, but I'm not even sure what they all do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Thanx.
mathcbox-remote sounds much safer to try than matchbox-remove. :-) Good to know.

Yeah, I looked into the vnc code, but it's pretty involved, so I haven't found it yet.
Right now, it's not that important. I tweaked the gngeo code so it exits on esc and home.
If you hit home to exit, it hides xgngeo, but I personally don't use xgngeo. :-)
xmaeme isn't as nice, but it has a smaller memory footprint, and I still have my 770. :-)

Thanx for the matchbox-remote and kciconsbox hints! Those are great!

desiv

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Thanx.
mathcbox-remote sounds much safer to try than matchbox-remove. :-) Good to know.

Yeah, I looked into the vnc code, but it's pretty involved, so I haven't found it yet.
Right now, it's not that important. I tweaked the gngeo code so it exits on esc and home.
If you hit home to exit, it hides xgngeo, but I personally don't use xgngeo. :-)
xmaeme isn't as nice, but it has a smaller memory footprint, and I still have my 770. :-)

Thanx for the matchbox-remote and kciconsbox hints! Those are great!

desiv

I typed in ...-remove ?

I did mean remote lol.

Did anyone get a solution to disable the Home key?

I'm running a study using the 770 and I have to disable the Home key so that people don't exit the experiment.

I used:

xmodmap -e "keycode 71 = F6" (which is the maximize key)

After this, xev says that the home key sends 'F6' just fine, but the behaviour is as follows:

Let's say I'm in xterm:
- Fullscreens xterm (the desired effect)
- Minimizes xterm and returns to home (the thing that I want to stop)

If I press it again:
- Returns to xterm
- Un-Fullscreens xterm

It seems like the behaviour of the home key is hard-wired somewhere. Anyone know how to change this?

Thanks.

If I recall correctly, I ran gconf once and it had some of the keyboard shortcuts in there that you could modify.

Hi, I'm developing some program in python and i need to disable the home button.
I tried all hints already given in this thread, but they all didn't work out.
I searched the vncviewer code until I found the code that should disable the button, but it doesn't seem to work on the average tablet.
After that i tried to get gconf to bind the key to sth else, but I'm a gconf noob and it didn't quiet work the way I wanted.
Is anybody around who got this to work on his tablet?
If so, could you please paste an example, like a code snippet how to do it?
Doesn't have to be in python, although it would make my day

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I've also been working on this feature as well.

It can be done by editing
/etc/mce/mce.ini
but it's quite the pain since you have to initialize it again, and for some reason, it messes up several other settings.

I believe this is the command being executed when the Home button is pressed.

dbus-send --system /com/nokia/mce/signal com.nokia.mce.signal.sig_home_key_pressed_ind
/etc/init.d/mce

Is there anyway to stop this from happening?

I really don't care much for constantly editing that mce.ini file.

Big thanks if someone responds to this.