Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dont think it is possible but i dont know. Imagine portable scales on your N900, place something that does'nt weigh to much but weighs enough. Would be so useful for me, and maybe many more people. Just a idea

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wouldnt this be amazing?

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by vir3us View Post
Wouldnt this be amazing?
It would be amazing, seeing as a N900 doesn't contain any hardware that would enable you to do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
here you go
Attached Images

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
It would be sooo easy!

Just attach the N900 to the thing that is to be measured and throw it up in the air. Before that you do it once alone so N900 knows how strong you are and how high you can throw it. Then with thing attached N900 can calculate the additional weight by decrease of height. That's it.

Probably you'll need a new N900 for every measurement, but that's OK. Lifestyle isn't for free!

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
This really wouldn't be possible? I think it's a pretty interesting idea even if only for measuring very light objects..

Doesn't the screen register varying degrees of pressure? I know MyPaint allows quite a bit of control over pressure sensitivity for various brushes.. how does it accomplish that if there's not some mechanism for reading out pressure placed on the screen?

it measures sharp or dull touches. a finger will not be fine drawing, whereas a finger NAIL would

The Following User Says Thank You to roger_27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
You probably would need a "plate" to put the things on that would have a fixed contact surface against the screen (i think there might be some confusion between plain pressure and pressing more of the screen at the same time that the software (or perhaps even the hardware) can't discern)

I dunno what the range would be, but things that are too light won't even register, and things that are too heavy will go "out of the charts".

Also it might be necessary to incorporate accelerometer data to correct for slight misaligments in relation to plain horizontal (for example caused by the lens cover rig, or by the surface the device is on not being perfectly level)

edit: perhaps the scale program would have an option to define the estimated contact surface of the plate, so people could use different things; also, an option for calibrating the scale using weights of known masses (like those labeled ones used on those old balances with a counter balance)

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-03-11 at 17:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Interesting. Thanks for the insight, roger and Tiago