Active Topics

Poll: How do you use the battery?
Poll Options
How do you use the battery?

Do you have your tablet always on? always off? do you take the battery out when not needed? or do you make sure you always have full battery?

Last edited by Dragoon; 2009-01-31 at 22:52.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Recommendations on good practice are in the wiki

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
With all due respect to the wiki, it seems that nobody really knows. The wiki contains two contradictory advices: Capacity loss is a function of number of discharge-recharge cycles (which suggest charging as infrequently as possible) and "charge early and often" which is the opposite.

Similarly, the manual for Toshiba Portege R100, which uses Li-Ion battery as well, suggests making sure the battey is never completely discharged while in another chapter it recommends regular complete discharge-recharge cycles.

My strategy is always on - charge whenever possible.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
The beauty of a wiki is that anyone can edit it

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-02-01 at 10:38.

It can be editted to be self-consistent, but we still don't know what is the correct strategy. If it was wikipedia, I'd add a {citation needed}. I have yet to see a reference to a valid study published in a peer-reviewed journal, only opinions.

Last edited by Matan; 2009-02-01 at 13:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
...I have yet to see a reference to a valid study published in a peer-reviewed journal, only opinions.
NOT a peer-reviewed journal, yet, but something maybe insteresting to you,

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-31.htm,
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20117

Part II is sitting in my garage , maybe someday it will see the sunlite.
New development for jet setters , http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ght=china+trip :
================================================
"Battery: I did not use ANY of my extended battery. I flew Continental and there are plugs, ordinary US plugs, under the chair. Bring a multiplet adapter, you are good for the whole transpacific flight. You do know which seats to book though, http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...ity/power.aspx."

=================================================
No. These seats are simple economy seats, the one you book when YOU travel, NOT the Bill Gates type. I ran my tablet, video, HD, whatnots thru the whole transatlantic fight ALL THE TIME now, no extend battery needed.

"My strategy is always on - charge whenever possible.", that is my recommendation, plus, on a GOOD Li polym battery, if left unused for months and appears dead, LEAVE IT PLUG IN FOR THREE DAYS will resurrect it! Yes, this is NOT anecdotal, I HAVE resurrected a dozen appears dead but good Li polym battery in this way. Not 2 days, not 4 days, about 3 days. If it catch fire, dont blame me . It has NOT happened to me yet.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-02-01 at 15:19.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
and like i recently discovered, getting that name brand memory card vs some on-name of ebay or similar, can make a world of difference when it comes to standby time

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
The wiki contains two contradictory advices: Capacity loss is a function of number of discharge-recharge cycles (which suggest charging as infrequently as possible) and "charge early and often" which is the opposite.
You're mistaken. One recharge cycle is from 0% to 100% not from 75% to 100% (that's a quarter cycle). So, no, it's not contradictory, you just misunderstood what constitutes a recharge cycle.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
or maybe the wiki is a bit unclear on that terminology?

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
> I take the battery out after a full charge and use it when I need to. i.e flights

I don't know if this is true for the Internet Tablet, because I only have one battery for it, but I have two for my digital camera, and if I charge them both and have one in camera and one in plastic case, the one in the camera keeps a charge a whole lot longer than the one in the plastic case. This is true even when you switch batteries (i.e. it is not a case of a better and a worse battery, it is a function of being in-camera vs. in-case).