http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16875975085

Just in case you lost yours.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Can't you just use a standard USB-A or is it B? cable that comes with cameras and such?

» N800, cloned Diablo on 2 GB SD (Device: 600 MB, Internal: 256 MB, Swap: 256 MB), 8 GB external SD

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by jself View Post
Can't you just use a standard USB-A or is it B? cable that comes with cameras and such?
Standard cable usually has a mini end. The N810 cable has a micro end.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jself View Post
Can't you just use a standard USB-A or is it B?
The N810 has a Micro USB port and will work with any standard Micro USB cable. Micro USB is the new standard for phones, etc.

The N800 has a Mini USB port and will work with any standard Mini USB cable--as used by many digital cameras, etc.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The N810 has a Micro USB port and will work with any standard Micro USB cable. Micro USB is the new standard for phones, etc.

The N800 has a Mini USB port and will work with any standard Mini USB cable--as used by many digital cameras, etc.
thanks for the clarification

Yeah, Micro's the new standard, however, it just feels flimsier than Mini-USB. Then again, given how often they want you to upgrade these days, I guess that's logical. IE, they want you to destroy your phone every 6-12 months so they can stick it to you regularly.

i seem to remember generalantilles quoting test results showing micro usb to be stronger than mini.

It might be, but it just feels flimsy to me, and the way the connectors are designed, they scream "break me". They need to come up with some right angle plugs so they're much harder to bump and break.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
...the way the [Micro USB] connectors are designed, they scream "break me".
Given the Micro USB connector must carry the number of conductors it does in such a small space, I think it's reasonably sturdy. It's not going to take a true beating, but what personal computer-style connector will? And as a power connector on mobile devices it sure beats the current Nokia barrel connector.

For a good, sturdy, reliable connector, you need something like XLR. Heck, I've moved to etherCON for my mobile racks. Such things won't work on pocket-sized devices though.

They need to come up with some right angle plugs so they're much harder to bump and break.
I can't imagine right angle Micro USB cables are banned by the standard. There's soon to be scads of Micro USB devices on the market, so in time, there's certain to be all manner of cables and adapters.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
But is anyone selling an OTG host cable for the N810?

Why does nobody make these? Because the N810 is the only micro-USB device that can be a USB host?