Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Any comments for which is the best???

The nokia E90 is already released and it is supposed to cost about 900 $ right now. what do you guys think??

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
hello,

E90 is for business users it has every thing, including a keyboard. full pim features.
but it's a bit bulky, although much less than last version. os is closed.
i chose n800 because of the potential and speed of evolution. the community can design or adapt many applications or even the OS. for example, you can be sure that when the 32 gb sd cards are available -soon-, someone here will adjust the OS to use them, giving the n800 a total capacity of 64 gb.

This is totally a dead thread, but I had some comments on this topic and this is probably the most alive of the places I saw comments.

Nokia E90, good PIM, 3.2mp camera with autofocus, full keyboard, nice screen resolution, can make cell calls.

N800, ok PIM though open source offers plenty of options, crappy 1.3?mp camera, onscreen keyboard, nice screen resolution, can make VoIP calls over wifi.

iPhone, dunno PIM probably 3rd party, 1.3 or 2mp? camera, onscreen keyboard without tactile feedback, ok screen resolution, can make cell calls.

Personally at the moment I have a Nokia E51 phone + N800 and it does just about everything the E90 or iPhone can do, the only thing I'm really lacking is a qwerty keyboard, and I'm considering upgrading my E51 to an E71 or E90 for that reason. I have a Bluetooth keyboard for the N800, but it takes up as much space in my pocket as the N800 and E51 combined when in a case, and without I think I'd lose it (and not have a place to stash my spare stylus for the N800).

Right now I'm really torn between the E90 with its sexy qwerty keyboard and beautiful screen plus the nicer 3.2mp autofocus cam, and the E71 with its supposedly excellent qwerty keyboard, 3.2mp autofocus cam (with less than stellar CCD behind it), and its dual home screens and 3G.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The post is from 2007...

Remember the E90 is basically a Nokia Communicator with S60. Its price has gone down too.

I'm using E71 and N810. Obviously, N810 is touch screen. Both have an OK to good browser, or alternative choices. The N810 keyboard is better than the E71. The E71 GPS is better than the N810. The E71 battery life is better than the N810. The N810 screen size is better. But they can both do both. They can both do WiFi. The E71 can do 3G as well. The N810 can use the E71 for packet radio. The batteries are compatible with each other. For me, they accomplish each other very well. The E51 has no keyboard and I don't like to click too many buttons to input some text so thats why I went for the (almost 2x as expensive) E71. The E71 has also good PIM software. Both have good e-mail software (good enough for me). Both can use SSH. The E71 has a 3.2MP camera as well. The E71 is thinner. The E71 (and E51, E90) can make VoIP over WiFi as well. One can also set up a VPN on both. I haven't tried synchronisation yet, but I've tried calendar and alarms (in itself very important for me to have in one device because I have otherwise too many notes (in liqbase) or seperate alarms) and this worked well. So basically my goal is that they accomplish each other while still versatile in their own right. Thus far, I'm succeeding, except that N810 needs packet radio from the E71 for e.g. Wayfinder.

Because N900 won't support voice _and_ data this is for now a good solution and potentially good in the future too. But I'm also excited about the N97.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Apart from the kinetic touch-screen menus and flashing advertising, my Nokia 9300 (which I've had for 2.5 yrs!) outperforms FEATURE-WISE the E90 and iPhone. That is I do more with it for less!

The E90 is hamstrung in the states because its fast datastream feature 3G isn't accomodated in the US systems, limiting you to the same EDGE speed that I get on my 9300.

The GPS and extra heft (faster CPU, bigger screen) give the E90 a much shorter battery life.

The 9300 has an open OS (Symbian 80) so there is a lot of well-developed software that's been around a while.

Side-by-side I had an email and txt-sending test with an iPhone and soundly beat it. Fingered Touch screen are highly overrated unless you're just flipping album covers or pictures around.

As far as a camera and mp3 player....I have a nice high-end Olympus and an iPod Nano so I don't need my phone/PDA to do those things--I just need it to manage lots of data and keep me in communication with the rest of the world.

And BTW...tethered to my N800, I get a much nicer web experience!

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
The E90 is much larger than most phones out there today. It fits the definition of a brick to a T. The internal screen is a little funky, you'll need to do a lot of scrolling up and down when using the web. It does get a lot of points for the keyboard(s) and I'm an S60 fanboy, so I like the OS.

I just got to play with an E71 when paying my bill. Nice screen, excellent size, lousy keyboard if you're fat fingered. Those keys are tiny! 2.5mm audio jack, but with A2DP bluetooth profile.

I own an N800, so I can't speak to the N810 keyboard, but I find the NIT platform a good complement to my N95. I don't use all the features of the tablet, and if I could only have one device, it would be my N95 (with BT keyboard and many other add-ons), but thats mostly because I got the N95 first and got it established in my mind as the go-to device. There are a lot of benefits to going the other way, using a cheap phone as a simple modem for the IT and keeping data on the tablet -for one thing, the SD cards are much cheaper than the micro-SD needed for the phone. There seems to be a lot of development continuing on the S60 platform, although there have been issues with "Symbian Signed" applications and developers regularly complain about the SDK.

If you need a full browser, go with the N810. Also check to see if Wimax is available in your area. That might make the N810 a game changer. The only other thing I'd like to see is a faster processor and more system ram available. It tends to chug along on heavy AJAX sites.

Last edited by Eric G; 2008-12-21 at 15:31.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Good point about the very small keyboard. One could also grab a N800, simple phone (not necessarily with keyboard, but for example with 3G), and BlueTooth keyboard. Control both devices using the BlueTooth keyboard.

Forget WiMax in USA, they just raised their prices out of reasonable proportions. You might as well get proper 3G (HS*PA).

S60 has a browser too, based on WebKit. It just isn't touch based. There are alternatives too. Opera Mobile and Opera Mini are also available for it. The 9.5 version of Opera Mobile not, it is (in beta?) only for Windows Mobile. But it might later be ported to S60. Furthermore, there are alternative browsers like Skyfire. On both platforms you have the right plugins. But with a N8x0 you have a bigger touchscreen. For some quick work the S60 browsers worked for me past days. I imagine for more heavy and serious stuff I might prefer N8x0 with its full RAM dedicated to browsing, touchscreen-based, with 800x480.