Active Topics

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Link to brainstorm:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...es_when_on_2g/

Not sure if this has been discussed (or is already possible) but I would like to have MicroB direct me to mobile versions of websites when on 2g. The desktop versions of websites work great on 3g/wifi but I find 2g to be insufferably slow.

Maybe this could be an enhancement to the user agent switcher plugin?

EDIT: The proposal is to make this a user option, so if you are happy with the desktop versions of some sites at 2g speed you can turn it off.

Last edited by cfh11; 2010-06-17 at 16:41.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
sounds awsome! where do i sign???

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
nice idea! +1 shame i have no clue how to go about doing it! i think the user agent changer needs to restart microB to take effect, but dont quote me on that.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Possibly, but even if it just checked on startup that would be an improvement over having to check manually every time IMHO.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Good Idea, but that screws at the general behaviour of websites, what user agent would you use for standard view as maemo5-microb is already considered to be a mobile client?

Read through my signature please.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
If someone makes this, for the love of whatever diety/dieties you defer to, don't make it do so without the user's choice to switch it off. If we want to risk full versions on 2G, let us have that option. That said, it's actually a very nice idea, to automate the switch upon hitting 2G to a mobile useragent.

Meanwhile, I think most sites are still not dickish enough to stop taking MicroB as a full browser. Facebook, I heard, and now GMail, is making us default to mobile pages, and I'm already flipping about that...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Facebook, I heard, and now GMail, is making us default to mobile pages, and I'm already flipping about that...
Facebook removed that forced redirect. (And did so within a week, if I'm not mistaken.)

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Oh, ok. I THOUGHT I read that too, but I've seen even more mentions of Facebook forceredirecting since then, so I guessed I thought I misread or something.

Just added a link to the brainstorm - please take a moment to vote!

@chemist - while microb may identify itself as a mobile client, it does redirect you to the desktop versions of websites. This may not be possible through user agent, but I would be surprised if it wasn't possible (and relatively easy to implement).

Bump... really?? No votes for this?