Notices

Hello,

I am a proud new N900 user (not exactly a first-mover ).

I have bought a 16GB micro-SD card to use it mainly for an offline wikipedia. After googling a little around I decided that Aard dictionary would be the choice for me. Installation went fine. However, Aard dictionary does not allow me to add a dictionary from the external sd card (it does not "see" it). The card is properly recognized by all other programs I tried it with.

Any ideas?

Thanx

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
What happens when you go to in Aard Dictionary to Dictionary > Add Dictionaries or Dictionary > Add Directory? System's file open dialog should appear and allow you to navigate your device's file system. If your card is recognized by device - then it's there. Now, the open file dialog I get on N810 is not a proper Maemo file dialog but rather a generic one, so internal and external memory show up as "mmc-undefined-name-internal" (/media/mmc2) and "mmc-undefined-name" (/media/mmc1). I'm not sure if on N900 you get something like this or a proper system file open dialog.

When I go in Aard Dictionary to Add Dictionary (or add Directory) I get a file open dialog. However, it is a quite limited file browser. The highest level I can browse to is the /home directory. However, the SD card seems to be mounted at /media.
I had to use midnight commander to see that, since the standard file manager seems to be a little limited (although it shows an entry for the SD card).
Would it be possible to mount the sd card somewhere in the /home directory?

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
The highest level I can browse to is the /home directory.
This is weird. Again, open file dialog is not something implemented by Aard Dictionary, comes from Qt. Looks like a bug in latest PyQt4/Qt for N900??

Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
Would it be possible to mount the sd card somewhere in the /home directory?
No need to go to such extremes. Edit (or create if it doesn't exist) file /home/user/.aarddict/sources.json and put in
Code:
[
  "/media/mmc1/",
  "/media/mmc2/"
]
/media/mmc2/ and /media/mmc1/ will be searched for .aar files when the app comes up (not recursively though, so if you put dictionaries say in "dicts" dir on SD card then add "/media/mmc1/dicts" to the list)

The Following User Says Thank You to itkach For This Useful Post:
Thank You!

PS: This kind of community support is the reason why I bought an opensource software driven device.

Last edited by Nikos; 2011-05-07 at 18:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nikos For This Useful Post: