Posts: 24 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ washington
Hi everybody. I am a newbie about this new phone. I wonder if I can use GPS to find location by the Nokia N900 without having internet or data plan. I am using T-mobile prepaid plan. Thanks alot

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Originally Posted by supersniper3008 View Post
Hi everybody. I am a newbie about this new phone. I wonder if I can use GPS to find location by the Nokia N900 without having internet or data plan. I am using T-mobile prepaid plan. Thanks alot
You have to download the map using ovi maps loader to your n900 and then go to Settings->Location and under Network positioning uncheck the Enable check box. However getting gps lock without network in some case is very long and in others no success at all so good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
How to save current GPS position on N900

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
You have to download the map using ovi maps loader to your n900 and then go to Settings->Location and under Network positioning uncheck the Enable check box. However getting gps lock without network in some case is very long and in others no success at all so good luck.
I thought I had seen some people with success turning the cell radio off but leaving network positioning enabled until a lock was established. Once a connection was established then reenable the radio. Any one confirm this one?

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Farooq View Post
How to save current GPS position on N900
Farooq stop asking the wrong questions in the wrong places.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
try use Location test application from the extra.
It will do a Cell Mo Scan for satellites for you and will not stop scanning until you turn it off.

Leave it running while the Ovi Map is running at the same time. Switch the Windows to Location Test and stay in an open clear sky view area. Do not stay inside the building and do it or under the roof.

It may take more than 10mins or 20mins sometimes to get a lock but once it did, you will be able to get the lock again very quickly without using the Location Test.

Once you got the locked on satellites, simply switch to Ovi Map and see if the map detected the connection. Then simply switch back to Location test and close it down once connected. The Ovi map will stay connected.

Hope this help.

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
erm.... i disabled the network positioning and i was able to get a lock on in under a minute... no problems at all... seriously... I'm even in a place where my data connection is low and slow... just somewhere outside the house... i just stood by the door, opened it, and a locked red dot appeared almost immediately...

can't search nor route though...

I can get a lock without data in few minutes as well.
My only problem is that right now im in japan and the japan ovi map is just horrible, only 6mb :/

Anyone know a good replacement?

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
Anyone know a good replacement?
Try Mappero or Navit!

Mappero can use Google maps data and seems to be more sophisticated when it comes to navigation, but it needs a network connection to do that.
Navit works offline but is harder to install and afaik works only well if you want to go from one city to another, not from A to B within one city.