Active Topics

Notices

I've been playing around with Hatari, the AtariST emulator on my N810. I have to say that I am really impressed with the graphics / sound / and games. While everyone is struggling to get dosbox working at slow speeds, I think a lot of people are missing out on this great emulator.

I have learned a few things about the emulator, but I thought we should get a thread going on Hatari.

What to post in this thread:
1) Great games that work well.
2) Hatari / AtariST tricks and tips
3) Requests for Help.

If you haven't tried Hatari yet, go get it here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/tammat/hatari/index.shtml

Most of the games are now abandonware, so you have a huge library to choose from. I'll post some suggestions shortly.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SniggyMA For This Useful Post:
One of my first suggestions when using this emulator is that you DO NOT use the fake EMUTOS bios image. The emulator runs much better with the original TOS 2.06 bios.

You can find an image of the bios files here: http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libara...ms_summary.htm

When I used the fake bios image, games wouldn't run and I had major mouse issues. Get Tos_206.zip for the best gameplay.

Another tip for avoiding the use of disks is to install a hard disk image. You can do this through the hatari configuration menu.

1) Download a blank hd image: http://hatari.berlios.de/download.html
2) Extract the hard drive image to a location on your PDA. (warning - its 80mb)
3) Press the Menu button to bring up the configuration page.
4) Under the disk menu, point the HD image to the image you extracted.
5) If you were successful, you know have a c: on your desktop.
6) You can now copy any disk you insert onto the hard drive! No more disk management.

I have also attached a blank HD image to this post. Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: gz hd80mb.image.gz (87.2 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by SniggyMA; 2009-02-22 at 22:36. Reason: typo

One fantastic RPG to play in Hatari for the N810 is Phantasie II and III. Both are top notch RPGs that work well in the emulator. In theory they are supposed to have a Dungeon Disk, but that isn't necessary. The game disk can be used as the Dungeon Disk. Just make sure you enable write pemissions to the A drive. Also, the game may ask you to answer questions for copy protection. You can usually guess it, but the manual is downloadable online. Once you answe it once it stops bugging you.

I highly recommend this series if you enjoy RPG games.

Phantasie
screenshot from Phantasie

Based on the Isle of Gelnor, Phantasie allowed a group of six characters to adventure the countryside and try to defeat the evil Black Knights and their sorcerer leader, Nikademus. Players could choose to be one of six character classes (Thief, Fighter, Ranger, Monk, Priest and Wizard) and could also choose between the races of Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Elf or Gnome. By selecting "Random" one could also choose from ogre, troll, pixie, gnoll, orc, lizard man, minotaur, and other races.

Get more information on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasie

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
How is Du geon Master working for you? I can't get the direction arrows to work reliably. I'll tap on one, try to tap on another, and the first registers the click. Very annoying. Are you having any better luck?

Thanks for pointing this out, the Atari ST was my first computer.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
There is a direct port of Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back.

Just use that instead.

Works perfect in Diablo.

Grab the .deb file here:

Chaos Strikes Back

Picture aside, I haven't really used DM on Hatari yet because my version of the disk image was crashing. I had major mouse issues until I started using TOS 2.06 with other games. What version are you using? That may fix your problem.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Sniggy, per your advice I am using 2.06.

Addison, thanks for pointing out that port. That'll occupy me for hors.

Well that stinks. You could try a different version of TOS, but it might also have issues with the emulator.

I have actually been running Hatari for about a year now and using it as a ST mobile companion to the Mega ST2 that is sitting on the desk next to me.

However one problem I have with Hatari that I can not figure out is why the mouse pointer is off by so much when in emulation (though when you bring up the hatari menu it is spot on). This makes it a LOT less useful to me and I wondered if anyone else found a way around this.

I have used most of my ST software sucessfully in Hatari just using the disk images directly, but not being able to actually click on anything without trial and error makes it a lot less appealing.

It might have something to do with using a larger resolution than normal for an ST but if the emulator supports it the mouse pointer should work... oh well, anyone have any ideas or fixes?

-John