Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Hi all,

Is it possible to get usb sticks that support/transmit DVB-T or DVB-H signal running on N900.
Just curious, N900 has the capability to host usb devices even bluetooth mice aided by usb bt dongle, then the real twist is what software to install on my N900. I have a wifi enable DSTV dongle and a usb pnp for the same. The wifi dongle does needs a software install on the devices to enable the service, e.g. like the case of Nokia N97 and N95 etc. But this software is not available for N900. The USB dongle too, requires a software.

Guys, what do you think about this? Any advice on this or suggestions? Is there a way to port to N900?

Thank you in advance.

I did experiment with this on the N900:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NCji7j-h5Q

But it required a lot of work and the N900 isn't really powerful enough to decode most MPEG2 streams in software. Here in the Netherlands DVB-T has relatively low bandwidth streams (so it works somewhat), other countries use much higher bandwidth transmission, and the N900 can't handle that.

DVB-H is a bit more complicated. It is available in a lot less countries and often uses encryption (tide to the sim-card). If there is free-to-view DVB-H in your country you can probably get it to work.
Somebody got it to work on a N800 for example:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=17704

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I did experiment with this on the N900:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NCji7j-h5Q

But it required a lot of work and the N900 isn't really powerful enough to decode most MPEG2 streams in software. Here in the Netherlands DVB-T has relatively low bandwidth streams (so it works somewhat), other countries use much higher bandwidth transmission, and the N900 can't handle that.
Is there a more user friendly way to achieve this?

Don't know. I currently do not use my N900 that much anymore (I use a N9). Maybe the modules are enabled and working in the newer power kernel releases, don't know. My guide is over 18 months old

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Is it possible to rewrite/port symbian apps to maemo? This way, there is a dvb-h device sold which streams over wifi to a supported phone. The likes of N97, which of course is far below N900 standards.
Also, see this link; http://www.dstvmobile.com/south-afri...drifta/drifta/
and this too http://www.dstvmobile.com/south-afri...rifta/symbian/

Even better, if I set up Nitdroid successfully on my N900, and download the streaming app from googeplay, this wud work too?

Last edited by Freddie; 2013-03-27 at 08:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freddie For This Useful Post:
I don't know these devices, but the Nokia su-33w bluetooth DVB-H uses a proprietary protocol to communicate with Symbian phones (iirc) and the source-code for the application on Symbian isn't available to the public.
If these devices use an open protocol and/or have open source application for viewing, than it may be possible to port to Maemo or MeeGo, otherwise it is way to much work to reverse engineer the protocol and writing an application from scratch.

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Contact the Power Kernel team, I would love to see this and other common DV stick drivers compiled into KP52!

Contacting kernel-power maintainer (Pali) is useless, he lost interest in adding new modules ( Some time ago I've asked him to include *working* module for usb->ethernet adaptor, and he refused, claiming that:
"having module comppiled externally for KP and working is one thing, but including it in KP the way autobuilder will accept it is lot of work, and he doesn't have time for it".

So, I suspect even less chances to get such exoting thing as dvb-t dongles module - unless you can code it into KP yourself, and send him ready-to-use patch).

BTW, to have even slight chance, you must use dongle that have modules for support in Linux - propertiary-only ones won't work, as they have closed-source software for windoze only.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-03-27 at 17:52.

Tags
dvh-h