Posts: 131 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Indonesia
Do you guys overclock your N900 speed? Sometimes we want the highest speed of overclocking, but be aware... I suggest you to overclock your speed limited only 800Mhz, higher could harm your N900 permanently?

Originally Posted by Dhicky View Post
Do you guys overclock your N900 speed? Sometimes we want the highest speed of overclocking, but be aware... I suggest you to overclock your speed limited only 800Mhz, higher could harm your N900 permanently?
while OCing has its dangers. You haven't justified your statement, or how you arbitrarily came up with your limit.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Dhicky View Post
I suggest you to overclock your speed limited only 800Mhz, higher could harm your N900 permanently?
Technically anything over 600mhz could damage your device (Unlikely, but possible)...

But your whole phrase does not match the title of this thread?!

Are you trying to say, if you live in a hot country, overclocking will have a harsher effect? And anyone living in an igloo should get 1.4ghz safely? hehehe!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

well i'm from malaysia which is humid and hot, and from the 150 person strong n900 community i'm a member of there, there has only been two n900s that failed, though its surmised that it was due to extreme undervolting in one, and the other was a touchscreen hw failure.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
I live pretty much on the equator, I've had an N900 for several months, it has been clocked to 1GHz the entire time.

The only time it ever feels hot is if I use mobile hotspot or some errant process starts using 100% CPU. In either case, the correct response is "Meh..."

The processor is clocked to 600MHz simply because Nokia is (too) conservative for reasons only they are aware of.

In short, the thread starters warning, nice as it is, is simply not required. There is a long discussion here that asks if anyone has killed their N900 from overclocking - result: nobody has.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
600MHz itself is not recommended by TI. Its not a matter of Nokia being too conservative or not. It's purely manufacturer (of the SoC) stated specs.

The Following User Says Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
The processor is clocked to 600MHz simply because Nokia is (too) conservative for reasons only they are aware of.
This has been discussed to death, but just remember that there's nobody else that is running OMAP3430 higher than 600mhz as far as i know... actually Droid is running at 550mhz and Pre was initally set to 500mhz.
Neither is the piece of silicon ever used the same as seen on the overclocking thread.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
I live pretty much on the equator, I've had an N900 for several months, it has been clocked to 1GHz the entire time.

The only time it ever feels hot is if I use mobile hotspot or some errant process starts using 100% CPU. In either case, the correct response is "Meh..."

In short, the thread starters warning, nice as it is, is simply not required. There is a long discussion here that asks if anyone has killed their N900 from overclocking - result: nobody has.
i second this ! i'm in reunion island and that's only when doing hotspot (so wifi and 3G+) that the device feels really hot. i'm always with 1ghz now, cause' it feels nice and not laggy like that ^^
as he says, you are the only one who can decide if it's good for your mobile to oc it to a certain frequence

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

I've been running at 1.1ghz for months and it hasn't died yet, I suspect 80% of owners on here are running highly overclocked. I'm yet to hear of one dying due to the cpu frying

The Following User Says Thank You to zarf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
guys due to the title i suggest reading this

as for overclocking the limits were actully downclocked for the original chip from 800 to 600
so 800 is the perfect way to go