Active Topics

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Portugal
First of all, feel free to remove or merge this thread.

I am new at this in linux and i'm really amazed with my N900. I just have a couple of sugestions:

Sometimes, i want to acces X Terminal but... I don't remember what i have to write on it...lol I know i will learn if i use it often but right now it would be awesome that an application could "write" for me the command lines.

I've been thinking about an app with buttons where you just click and the result appears. Like to see battery charge (in %), used memory, running scripts...

Basically it would spare some time typing. I Guess that naming the buttons like this:

" Battery Charge - lshal | grep percen "

Then, touching that button i will see the battery charge.

We could create dozens of buttons for basic stuff. It would be nice for people like me who doesn't understand much of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sinetype For This Useful Post:
This would be a great idea for people who want to get "under the bonnet" of their N900 but don't know where to start.

Just to say that i won't be able to program that... i am not a programmer

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
This would be a great idea for people who want to get "under the bonnet" of their N900 but don't know where to start.
exactly Krisse. For me, it would be a great tool. I will learn commands (by reading them in the buttons) but without typing them.

I also think that all the commands in the app shoul be in a first stage "read only" commands just to avoid any problems with the device.

Hmm... maybe you should suggest this on Brainstorm?

I can't get the Brainstorm page to open now, but perhaps you could post on the Brainstorm forum?

http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Erm sorry to interject but surely learning to create your own scripts is half the fun. So if you have a command string like the one you just mentioned then why not write it in a script and execute that from the command line. Maybe I am completely missing the point.

Originally Posted by shadow12 View Post
Maybe I am completely missing the point.
Yes you are Visual is a key word. I think this would be nice. When Vim was ported to windows with menus and all, it became the best windows editor of all times. Some similar thing can be done with the Xterm, at least for the most common commands.

Note that the linux command line is much more forgiving and helpful than others i've used
Pressing 'tab' will attempt to autocomplete the word (eg. type "lsh <tab>" and it will complete it into "lshal"). It will also complete filenames (very useful for long or complicated names)
I think you were asking something else though. You have to remember that some commands simply can't be turned into buttons by their nature ( "mv oldname newname" renames, but it can't be used as a clickable item because you need to give it the names). I don't think the solution is terminal related.
I remember reading somewhere around here about .desktop files. They seem to be able to add arbitrary commands into your menu (sorry, you'll have to search around on your own, i don't have much time). That way, you could turn your commands/scripts into buttons, just as you wanted, but they'll be in the menu. Grouping them or more advanced stuff is another matter

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i'd like xterminal with different colours, eg the way notepad++ uses colours for commands,paramaters, etc

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
But is some "buttons" do the work for you, you don't need to actually learn anything.