Active Topics

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
So, I want my N900 to be my only phone, crazy to carry two phones around in this day and age.
My company has given me an iPhone for synching with corporate email/calendar as the N900 doesn't support provisioning - and never will. Hate the iPhone, everything is locked down so I end up carrying 2 devices with me everywhere. One for email calendar (iPhone) and 1 for everything else (N900).
I am told that Meego does have provisioning (although not complete) but might just work.

So, my question to the experts out there is, can the Meego email (MfE) client or programs be ported back to Maemo?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mmarks View Post
So, I want my N900 to be my only phone, crazy to carry two phones around in this day and age.
My company has given me an iPhone for synching with corporate email/calendar as the N900 doesn't support provisioning - and never will. Hate the iPhone, everything is locked down so I end up carrying 2 devices with me everywhere. One for email calendar (iPhone) and 1 for everything else (N900).
I am told that Meego does have provisioning (although not complete) but might just work.

So, my question to the experts out there is, can the Meego email (MfE) client or programs be ported back to Maemo?
My understanding is that the problem lies with the Maemo 5 OS itself, rather than the mail client. There's no security framework to support the provisioning, so the mail client cannot truthfully claim to do so. The N9 has the Aegis security framework, which can prevent the user from performing certain operations, allowing some forms of provisioning to be supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Thanks Rob1n

Appreciate the explanation and it makes sense. If I understand correctly, although the mail client sends the response for things like remote wipe, there needs to be the support in the base OS for that function.

Really frustrating in that I guess there will never be a solution. So, our superb phone with a great, open, OS cannot perform the task that my old Win Mobile 6 or any android or S60 or iPhone can do.

Wish there was a way round it as this is the only thing stopping me (and many other users having trawled the threads) having a one phone solution for all my needs.