Active Topics

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
We all know it is best to "safely" remove your memory card before removing it. All the previous phones that I have had that have expandable memory card compatibility have the option to "safely remove memory cars" but the N900 seems to not have this feature. I would be nice to have so we dont have to turn off the phone everytime we we try removing the memory card or risk frying it.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-26 at 12:52. Reason: status

Originally Posted by x61 View Post
We all know it is best to "safely" remove your memory card before removing it. All the previous phones that I have had that have expandable memory card compatibility have the option to "safely remove memory cars" but the N900 seems to not have this feature. I would be nice to have so we dont have to turn off the phone everytime we we try removing the memory card or risk frying it.
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /media/mmc1

Originally Posted by j.s View Post
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /media/mmc1
That hardly counts as a solution. The N900 should have a means of "ejecting" the card, and helping the user resolve any open files preventing clean unmount without dropping to the console and using lsof and umount. A notification area button or widget would be a good solution for it.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Wichita, KS
Not sure how relevant is this but there's a little magnet on the back cover of the n900, and a "sensor" somewhere around the rear camera module to detect if the back cover is in place or not. If I remember correctly, the sd card module will be deactivated when the back cover is removed. Could this be the "safety" feature Nokia implemented in terms of sending a signal to unmount the sd card once the back cover is removed?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hwong_pz For This Useful Post:
Somebody can make that script into a widget easy, why do you need to remove your card so often? I think you can do everything the same just by using the phone in usb mass storage mode without the hassle.

I do not have a micro sd yet waiting for 32gb and a good price but its not something I would plan on taking out often since its behind the cover and all that.

I would think if I am taking off the back cover I want to turn off the device first anyways.

Infact speaking of a widget, there may be one that already works. Check this out - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39177

Its programmable so you can just put that script into it I think.

Last edited by ViciousXUSMC; 2010-01-26 at 06:09.

Originally Posted by hwong_pz View Post
Could this be the "safety" feature Nokia implemented in terms of sending a signal to unmount the sd card once the back cover is removed?
It does unmount the card if the back cover is removed, but while there are files open I don't think (and doubt) that the system can unmount the partition.

Maybe Nokia send out a message over DBus when the cover is removed?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Please create a brainstorm item and read the links in my signature for further help.

Originally Posted by hwong_pz View Post
Not sure how relevant is this but there's a little magnet on the back cover of the n900, and a "sensor" somewhere around the rear camera module to detect if the back cover is in place or not. If I remember correctly, the sd card module will be deactivated when the back cover is removed. Could this be the "safety" feature Nokia implemented in terms of sending a signal to unmount the sd card once the back cover is removed?
This explains why my phone was not reading mmc when the cover was opened. But we still need to "Safely remove". Great fined. Thanks.

Surely it already attempts "Safely Remove" when you remove the back cover?
Just compare output of 'mount' command before and after removing back cover, when you have an SD card inserted...

But what if I do not want to remove the memory card but rather just want to look at the inside beauty of this fine phone while listening to my favorite music on the memory card?