Active Topics

Citrix is the only way in to our corporate network from outside the Enterprise. Therefore, for me, a Citrix client would be the killer app on my new N800. I didn't see any Citrix related offering on the maemo site. Hopefully, I'm missing something but if I'm not, what do I have to do to get a Citrix client port? (I'm NOT up to doing it myself!)

It's not likely, ever.
Citrix is not something you can port, it's a commercial product.
When the 770 ran OS2005, we could get citrix going, but it was difficult, and required an external keyboard. That was due to OS2005 being Debian ARM compatible.
The newer 770 and 800 software is not Debian ARM compatible, and the citrix client will not work.
Someone would have to convince the makers of the citrix software that a Nokia 800 version makes economic sense.
There is a Windows Mobile compatible citrix client.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The N800 isn't meant for enterprise use, otherwise it would be the E800. Tell Citrix or make a client of your own.

There is an ARM Linux version on the Citrix website; http://www.citrix.com/English/SS/dow...23&pID=186#top

Have you tried that? 'Course I know jack about this so expect the gurus to point out why this won't work

The citrix client for me too would be a killer app. I have read and looked, and it does not seem possible yet, but I am hoping someone will figure it out.

ARM is NOT ARMEL
The ARM client can only run on OS 2005.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
The N800 isn't meant for enterprise use, otherwise it would be the E800. Tell Citrix or make a client of your own.
That's pretty funny... using that logic, who IS the 800 for then? Nerds?

Sending a email or two to Citrix might produce some results, so thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by hlampert View Post
That's pretty funny... using that logic, who IS the 800 for then? Nerds?

Sending a email or two to Citrix might produce some results, so thanks for the suggestion.
N = multimedia team, so figure it out.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
zerojay: Just because Nokia marketing view it as a multimedia device (*cough*) doesn't mean Citrix can't/shouldn't (be able to) release a client for it.

I prefer carrying separate devices when there's an advantage to *me* (e.g. phone and tablet being separate), not because it suits Nokia's marketing teams (e.g. tablet and PDA).

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
zerojay: Just because Nokia marketing view it as a multimedia device (*cough*) doesn't mean Citrix can't/shouldn't (be able to) release a client for it.

I prefer carrying separate devices when there's an advantage to *me* (e.g. phone and tablet being separate), not because it suits Nokia's marketing teams (e.g. tablet and PDA).
Incorrect. It's not Nokia's marketing team that view it as a multimedia device. It was created by the Nokia multimedia team, not simply created by Nokia and had the multimedia label slapped on it. If the device was made by the enterprise team (E800), you'd probably see more business-like features, such as fully featured PIM, yes, possibly a Citrix client, but forget about stuff like Flash, media player and other stuff that is more on the multimedia side of things.

No, it doesn't mean that Citrix can't release a client for the N800, but what it does mean is that it will be less likely since the focus of the device is NOT business oriented, so there's far less demand for it and therefore less reason for them to bother wasting resources on it.