Active Topics

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/21/i...-based-m1-mid/

The form factor I've been recommending for the NIT might be coming to the Wibrain. I'm not sure I like the shoulder button layout exactly, but that's the format I was suggesting. It's also a bit thicker than I was thinking.

If it has a comfortable keyboard feel (like the E71), GSM/WCDMA (EDGE+HSPA) modem, Ubuntu Mobile, decent battery life, and a tiltable screen, I'd probably buy it.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
who the heck designs a thing like that - it's just plain ugly (IMHO)

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
I agree that their implementation of the format is on the ugly side. But so was their original device (split thumb keyboard format).

That said... who cares? It's not a fashion statement, it's a tech device. I care more about utility than fashion. Though, I suspect that anyone else who entered into this form factor (like the ones from Sony (Vaio UX-1) and Motorola (Sidekick Slide)) would indeed be prettier. And if Nokia built one, I'd expect it to be prettier too. Something like the style of an E71, but the format of a Sidekick Slide, UX-1, or this thing.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
who the heck designs a thing like that - it's just plain ugly (IMHO)
Agree 100%

And people complain about the N810 keyboard...

But HSDPA and Mobile TV look cool, but thats it.

I finally got the chance to try an EEE, and what hit me hardest was that its undersized keyboard is useless to me. I'm realizing I can't use a keyboard if I can't touch type, and I can't do that on undersized keyboards (maybe it's possible to adjust if you're a child or a female with slim fingers). Before I tried one I thought the EEE could be interesting. This M1 thing also seems to have one of those (even more) undersized keyboards, thus, to me, completely useless. Oh, and ugly, but that's been said already!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i would say that its one of the more interesting mid/umpc's thats been shown lately. and if it gets about the same price as the older wibrain, and can be bought with linux...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
@TA-t3: I've got Eee 1000H for the exact same reason - the keyboard on that model is very good.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I'm realizing I can't use a keyboard if I can't touch type, and I can't do that on undersized keyboards (maybe it's possible to adjust if you're a child or a female with slim fingers).
The WiBrain (original model, and I assume this one), MID, Samsung Q1, N810, E61/E61i/E62/E71, Sidekick, Tilt, and Blackberry keyboards all have one thing in common... they're not intended for touch typing. They're intended for thumb typing.

So... do feel just as negative about the N810 keyboard?

Yeah, I can't use thumb keyboards. One of my PDAs has one. I use the on-screen keyboard all the time, with stylus - much faster and easier.

I'm exactly the opposite. Virtual keyboards are a waste of screen space, annoying, and significantly slower than thumb keyboards.