Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Search wasn't working for me on my N800 here, but I don't think this has yet been discussed ad nauseum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...es#cite_note-3

The Wikipediia article says this may belong to a new class of "netbooks".

My money might go for this rather than some Nokia offering, and if that doesn't count as competition, what does? My theory is that anything that might affect sales is competition of a sort.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
This is in the same class as the EeePC, but i fear it will turn out to be more pricey than the EeePC 901 Atom model (just as it happened with HP 2133 - its $500 is quite underpowered).

I looked now on some MSI price info and turns out that the $400 version will be with 512MB RAM, which isn't that bad, but i better wait for 901 to come out to compare them.

Just like ASUS E(n)PC, this one is in a form factor different from Nokia internet tablets and thus isn't in direct competition. It's basically a small laptop. So, unless we are talking about a tiny category of customers who are specifically buying a small Linux computer, no matter what the form factor is, this little laptop does not apply.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
Oh, I beg to differ.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by devaler View Post
Oh, I beg to differ.
Permission denied.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Just plunked down 350 bucks for a MSI Wind U100 from Best buy. Tore out the Window and put something more penguin-y in place (Kubuntu). Found not all the hardware is compatible (WLAN card isn't). Google Code had a Linux driver. Compiled and installed and my little netbook is a HOT property. (There is no Bluetooth that comes with it..... bummer. But that's why there are USB dongles! )

It's been discussed before, but I say again, that I believe that "netbooks" are definitely competitors against the NIT for a sizeable percentage of current NIT owners, including myself, and the 3 other people I convinced to buy one.

I would call my category: portable internet-enabled computer costing less than $300. Portable is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, but sub 3lbs does it for me. The ability to hold it in one hand, or it being my/a portable media player, was not a factor.

My N800 is a great device, and I have no regrets buying it, but if I was given the same $300 choice a year a so ago, $300 netbook vs. N800, the netbook would have been purchased.

MHO.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Upstate New York
Bought an Asus Aspire One for my son. I like being able to stick my old 770 in my back pocket, and I would have to get a much bigger butt (and corresponding jeans) to stick the Aspire in a pocket (not the butt - you filthy minds).

The difference is mainstream usability. The NIT is for those who know what they're doing, and know how to fix it when it breaks. The Netbooks are for the average Joe, especially when running XP. Netbooks are actually great for kids, because they're small and portable but still have a touchpad and a decent HDD (or SSD).

To me, they're two different categories. NIT for ultra-portable, customizable internet-enabled device, the Netbook is a small laptop. Different uses, different users.