Active Topics

Here's to hoping! Anyone think that could happen?

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
I'm expecting to see the beta SDK arrive before any announcement. Whilst the timeline for that is March-May, I shan't get my hopes up of seeing the beta, let alone an announcement as early as next week.

Last edited by dwould; 2009-03-27 at 13:33. Reason: correct typo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
Oh, believe me, I'm already climbing the walls in anticipation of the next tablet. As soon as it's announced I'm planning on putting in my request for a review unit to check it out. So far to date though, the Nokia tablets have been really the only MID I've been impressed with. There are two others out there I'm waiting on that *might* be worth checking out (if they'll ever get released), but overall the NITs have really no competition out there so far. That's one reason why I'm anxious for the next tablet. It should be a real winner just like the last two have been. (can't comment on the 770, since I didn't get to see that)

But I really do hope they announce the next tablet soon. I'm dying of anticipation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post

But I really do hope they announce the next tablet soon. I'm dying of anticipation.
Same here. I do hope that they also keep the size and shape and add tilt screen like the N97. I wouldn't mind a clam shell either.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I'm very excited for the new NIT as well, whatever it be called. Just as Lord Raiden, I have compared other MIDs and they come up short. The N810 is so well balanced that despite the wave of upcoming handheld computers, in my eyes, it still has no equal.

I hope something is announced very soon! CITA is just as good as any event!

I'll gladly loose $600 in the market tomorrow for the next tablet.

offtopic,
My friend uses her N810 as a WiFi phone quite effectively by holding it to her ear. I hope that the new NIT is laid out in a way that makes this possible as well, as it's a VERY handy function of a multi-purpose device. That and you can get a sip line for $60CDN/year.

YARR!
}:^)~

-<(corrupt)>-

Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
Same here. I do hope that they also keep the size and shape and add tilt screen like the N97. I wouldn't mind a clam shell either.
Meh, I'm not a big fan of clamshell or tilt. I like the design that the n810 is right now. However, there is one clamshell design I like a lot. There's a mid (or was it a phone) out there that has a tilt/clamshell/slide design that's rather cool. You open it clamshell style, and if you don't need the keyboard, you flip the screen all the way open, then slide it down to conceal the keyboard while leaving the screen in the open position, and if you want the tilt along the way, you can get that too.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
Sorry to be a debbie downer here, but I doubt it... First off, I'm pretty sure the plan is to release a beta SDK before saying anything about an actual product, and that hasn't happened yet. Second, according to http://www.developersummit2009.com/A...pril.1502.aspx, there will be an "Update on Maemo" at the devloper summit on April 29. This can only mean one of two things: a beta SDK, or a device announcement. It's possible that Nokia will release the beta SDK during CITA, and then the product at the developer summit. However, I think we'll see a beta SDK on April 29, and a device announcement sometime later.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Look at how it was with the 810 It was announced in october and released a month later. So if we havent even got a beta SDK yet I wouldnt get my hopes up on seeing it before early fall. As far as looks go I prefer a slider like the 810. If, dare I say they increase the size just a tad, I would like to see a keyboard layout like the OQO model2+ . Would love to see metal keys spaced apart like the N97.

I'm hoping they don't show a new NIT at CTIA. Why? Because i land in L.A on the 2nd for a 3 week holiday. If i find out there's a new NIT in Vegas, i'll have to jump in a car and go see it.

And my Wife will be piiiised!

I think a product release about 30-60 days after a beta SDK sounds reasonable. I think the beta is coming late April as discussed here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=27817
Hence, I think a mid June release is probable. Are there any shows in June were this could be done at?

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post: