Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ san jose, ca
Hello everyone,

If you don't mind, I've been wondering about a few things and wanted to share with someone.

Just want to say I love my n810 just as a regular type user who uses apps as I can find and understand them. (never seen or touched the root stuff ). The n810 stays with me most of the day and by my bed at night. I do like internet radio.

There is so much talk about the n900, but the small screen size really disappoints me. It's the screen on the n810 that I find totally useful.

My wife has an iphone and loves it, but the screen is too small for me, not bright enough, and I don't like surfing the net on it. So the n900 is out for me. At least until I can actually hold one.

So, is the n810 going to die? We haven't had a software update for quite awhile and I been waiting for someone to fix flash when browsing. Tired of sites telling me to upgrade

Is there a hope of a newer internet tablet with the same or slightly bigger footprint?

I'm also confused about maemo 5 and is it for n810 and will I want to use it?

OK, I've rambled enough...thanks for listening and hopefully I might get an answer or two

The Following User Says Thank You to kelkinny2004 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kelkinny2004 View Post
At least until I can actually hold one.
That's the right attitude!

So, is the n810 going to die? We haven't had a software update for quite awhile and I been waiting for someone to fix flash when browsing. Tired of sites telling me to upgrade

I'm also confused about maemo 5 and is it for n810 and will I want to use it?
There probably will not be official updates for the n8*0 anymore. Maemo5 will run only on new hardware. But the old will not die, because there's a community developed operating system called Mer that will be installable on the old tablets and will be able to run apps that are made for Maemo5.

Is there a hope of a newer internet tablet with the same or slightly bigger footprint?
Maybe, probably, no one knows for sure, because nothing is announced. It is possible that from now on all Maemo devices will be phones with small screens or that there'll be all kinds of form factors, phones, tablets and so on. But for now we have only the n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
The future for the N8x0 devices is community support via Mer. There may be some community bug-fixes for Diablo too, but I think the more promising direction is Mer.

Hopefully Mer will bring some of the newer Fremantle goodness to the older devices, but we'll have to be realistic about graphics performance.

Fremantle is Maemo 5, and it won't run on older devices. Mer can hopefully deliver on enough compatibility with Maemo 5 that apps without intensive graphics need will work (my guess is as a recompile, not binary compatible, but that's only a guess.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canoehead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
N900 talk predominates for the simple fact that it's the newest thing. If/when another model is released, the N900 will be pushed down the chain of importance.

Anyway ColdFusion and canoehead answered the questions very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Mark another tally for a device w/o a cell connection and n810 physical size (or at least a cell connection I can use - CDMA only here).

The Following User Says Thank You to dick-richardson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I predict that tablets that are somewhat too big to be pocketed will become a bigger deal soon -- but probably not from Nokia.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ san jose, ca
thanks folks for your feedback. I actually feel a little better knowing that I'm not alone here.

I'll keep up the hope and continue waiting to see what's coming. I still have a fully functional (for my purposes) device in the n810 that I really like.

Thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to kelkinny2004 For This Useful Post:
I agree about that the next tablet I will buy will be one without a cellphone.

I do however believe that the next, really good tablet will [unfortunately] come from Apple. My guess: This year.

The Following User Says Thank You to bummer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I can't think Apple will be able to make anythink satisfactory - they failed with the pods and the phones, so I don't have much hope for their tablets.

So that's out.

I'd love another 4"-5" device that has about the same hardware as the N900 inside. I'd even like to have the cell phone part... except I wouldn't use it for voice calls, of course.

What I don't consider all that important is if it's Nokia or if it runs Maemo. It could be Moblin, it could be whatever GNU/Linux based thing, and it could be any manufacturer other than Nokia.

Although, of course, it would be easier to have a Maemo/Nokia device because I already know the basics. And I like this community.

We'll see.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
i think that the best unit to move to will be the viliv s5 or 7
as far as the n900 goes-it should not be on this forum-a cell phone with a small screen is not a tablet

The Following User Says Thank You to yukop4 For This Useful Post: