Active Topics

I have succesfully installed Gaim with AIM support, I updated the repositories and downloaded the Jabber protocol (maemo-gaim-protocol-jabber). Upon installation I got the prompt "cannot be installed."

Now the protocol has disappeared from the list of installable apps and no amount of updating brings it back! The other protocols are still visible.

Thanks for any pointers...

Answered my own Q. When it said "could not install application" it actually installed it just fine!

hmmm

Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
I have succesfully installed Gaim with AIM support, I updated the repositories and downloaded the Jabber protocol (maemo-gaim-protocol-jabber). Upon installation I got the prompt "cannot be installed."

Now the protocol has disappeared from the list of installable apps and no amount of updating brings it back! The other protocols are still visible.

Thanks for any pointers...
Are you using N800? If so, could you guide me on installing Gaim? I've tried and tried but nothing shows up in the catalog.....

You will need to add the repositories to your N800, find them here -

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationRepositories

You have to manually type them into the Application Manager

Application Manager>Tools>Application Catalog>New

When you're done it should automatically check and update the available apps, if not tap "Check For Updates"

Gaim requires 2 library files that may or may not be downloaded with the package. If you get a "could not install" prompt, make a note of the file names then hit "Install New Application" navigate to "libs" (or use the search feature), find & install the files & retry Gaim.

PB

I've been trying to install GAIM on my Nokia N800 I've followed all the directions that I found on this site, but I keep getting "unable to install the list is current as of <date>. I've had two other people try, one of them is a developer, and we all got the same results. I did notice that when I clicked on the http://repositor.maemo.org/ link it takes me to a page with no directory, but the others do take me to a directory. Is the above link not working? Help please.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Gaim works well on Nokia 770 and N800 although there are some issues installing it.

When you say that you see " "unable to install the list is current as of <date>. " it sort of means that you probably have the files and the protocols installed already or you are not pointing the Application Manager to the right Repository. What I mean by the latter is that the Application Repositories have to be typed in the exact way as shown in many other posts here.
The former implies that those files are probably already in your Application Manager and that you may simply need to install them.

So for Nokia 770, for example the following is a Repository. If you miss one little slash or point then it is not going to work. I use a Nokia 770, so I will tell you what all I used to install Gaim.

You will have to type in or use the information in all the three lines exactly as shown

http://maemo-hackers.org/apt
Distribution: mistral
Component: main

http://maemo-hackers.org/wiki/MaemoGaim.

Each of the Repositories mentioned in this post should be added to the Application Manager of the Nokia IT. (Tools---> Application Manager---> click the down arrow on the left of Application Manager--->now Click ' New ' and Type in or Add each of the Repositories, one at a time, exactly as seen in the above website. Refresh. The Web address, the Distribution, the Components have be to exactly as you see them.) Each time you add a new Repository, the Application Manager will update it for you. Get the required Protocols, if you have not gotten it via the Application Manager.

It would be a good idea to know that depending on the IT, you need the following also.

libgpg-error0_1.0-1_armel.deb
libopencdk8_0.5.7-2_armel.deb
libgnutls11_1.0.16-14_armel.deb
libgcrypt11_1.2.0-11.1osso_armel.deb

You will get such files from: -
http://downloads.kernelconcepts.de/m.../binary-armel/

Here, almost everything that you need to use GAIM is available. You need to get the GAIM 'Protocols' also. When you update the Application Manager the Protocols usually get in there. In case you think that it did not then you should click on Application Manager, Select ' Install New Application ', Scroll Down, go to ' Protocols ' and see if the protocol you want to use is in there, ready to be installed.

You will find the GAIM Data, maemo-gaim and Protocols at

http://maemo-hackers.org/apt/pool/main/m/maemo-gaim/

Installing GAIM is tricky. I think you will need to install it in the following order:-

a) GAIM Data
b) maemo-GAIM
c) Protocols.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-02-26 at 18:04.

I can't tell you how much you've helped. I've downloaded everything and have installed the GAIM Data but when I try to install maemo-GAIM I get "Unable to install. Some application packages required for the installation are missing." When I click the details button I get "Unable to install maemo-gaim application packages missing : libxau0" Any help would be appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Casey For This Useful Post:
I'm a little confused by many of the suggestions for adding gaim to the N800. I often see people suggesting the minstral repositories, but I though that was just for the 770. I did add all the bora repositories listed on the Wiki, but I still don't see gaim. I hope someone who succeeded in putting gaim on the N800 could write a simple one-click installer. They are easy to create, and I'd do it if I knew which repository to list for the N800 version of gaim.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I can't tell you how much you've helped. I've downloaded everything and have installed the GAIM Data but when I try to install maemo-GAIM I get "Unable to install. Some application packages required for the installation are missing." When I click the details button I get "Unable to install maemo-gaim application packages missing : libxau0" Any help would be appreciated.

Try updating the Repositories as follows:

http://maemo-hackers.org/apt
Distribution : bora <<-----
Components : main

You may have to muck around in a similar manner with the other Repositories as well.

Here you will see ' bora ' as the distribution value. This is because ' bora ' is the codename for the upcoming Maemo 3.0 release. N800 has already shipped with "Internet Tablet OS 2007 Edition 1.2006.47-20", and "bora" is the default value for the distribution field in the Application Manager.( quoted from maemo.org.)

DO NOT Add the sticking tongue smiley to the repository distro name.

Changing the distribution from mistral to bora removed all the maemo-gaim and all local and protocols. I switched it back to mistral and they returned. Any other ideas?