Active Topics

suppose a contact has 2 numbers and sends me a text from each saying "this is my work phone" and "this is my home phone"

i cant find a way to display the number that sent an sms, so i still dont know which is which

how do i do it..?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I don't know. Had exactly this problem a few months ago.

Welcome to the world of over-simplification, also known as "uder friendliness".

there are ways of customizing the html templates that embody Conversations..
but is the sender number (and the smsc would be nice to have too) available to the template, we wonder..?

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by cjard View Post
suppose a contact has 2 numbers and sends me a text from each saying "this is my work phone" and "this is my home phone"

i cant find a way to display the number that sent an sms, so i still dont know which is which
Can you add an extra digit to one of your contact's numbers in your address book (so that it's wrong) and then reload your SMS window and see if the SMS still appears to be from your contact?

Originally Posted by spanner View Post
Can you add an extra digit to one of your contact's numbers in your address book (so that it's wrong) and then reload your SMS window and see if the SMS still appears to be from your contact?
On my N95 I had a number which was incorrect by one digit which was missing saved in my address book. Yet when I got a call from that contact the caller id would show his name even though the wrong number was saved. Took me a while to realise the reason why I could never get him even though it seemed he was calling me with th number I had saved was that it was actually a wrong number saved.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
A brainstorm was posted a long while ago to add labels for each phone number and to have those displayed per SMS / Call - a few other suggestions out there as well as the odd bug submission.

We can only hope such a thing arrives with PR1.3 : )

Originally Posted by cjard View Post

how do i do it..?
Press the profile pic to bring up his contact details. The number for that text is the one highlighted in blue color..

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to deny_winarto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
Press the profile pic to bring up his contact details. The number for that text is the one highlighted in blue color..
thx! this is really useful.... but totally unexpected. i did open this a few times in my attempts to see which numer the mesage was from. i never noticed the blue "highlight" before you pointed it out now.

a "message details" window like on normal phones would be welcome.

Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
I always thought the blue highlight was the number that the contact had most recently used to contact you.. but this advice seems to work well, thaks very much for the tip!

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
There is a Bug for this. I voted for that bug when i first got my N900, but i guess it won't help. They consider it fixed, because the highlight solution mentioned above works.
In my opinion the "solution" is not really one, since you have to know that it is that way, as this thread shows. New users will most likely not notice that. The usability is bad.
But hey, were lucky that we CAN find out at all.