Notices

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Some of you may remember my earlier work.

I have now packaged up a few, relativity safe, tweaks as a nice self contained .deb file. This will add a sysctl.conf to the system, tweak the ondemand governor, and drop a load of banned hosts into your system.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY TWEAKED DNSMASQ, SYSCTL, OR THE SPEED GOVERNOR I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS WILL DO IT IT.

The good news is that removing this package and rebooting should be 100% safe and *should* revert all changes. I have tested this under dpkg and App Manager under Diablo and I'm almost 100% positive this should work under Chinook and I'm not sure about Bora.

Code:
./root
./root/hosts.sh
./etc
./etc/dnsmasq.d
./etc/dnsmasq.d/banner_ad_hosts.conf
./etc/init.d
./etc/init.d/cpufreq_tweak.sh
./etc/init.d/sysctl
./etc/sysctl.conf
This is the contents of the deb. The /root/hosts.sh regenerates the list of blocked hosts, the dnsmasq.conf is sed'ed to enable a conf-dir in which this drops the banner blocking conf, the two new init.d scripts control sysctl and the ondemand tweaks.

All in all this should provide a small to moderate increase in performance. I am using it with an 8mb swap file.

It's a good first step to get some feedback and I now know where I'm going to take this. I do plan on adding prefs.js tweaking to this eventually and possibly chrome and gconf tuning as well.

My ultimate goal it to have 100% of my tweaks bundled up in an easy to install .deb/system
Attached Files
File Type: deb SpeedTweak-0.0.3-1_all.deb (1.7 KB, 748 views)

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dude... thanks for your work in this. Much appreciated.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Hawaii
so, stupid question before I go off running and installing this into my n800 - I take it it's both N8X0's?

aw hell, mebbe I'll just install and see...

(fingers crossed)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Yeah, it's for both N8x0's. I'm using it in my N800 fine.

okmaybe I'm not smart enough - so how do I install thiis? when Ii click on the link, ap manager says I'm missing a dependancy of 'wget' which I assume means I need rooot access? That I do know, but after sudo root-ing, what then?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I though wget was in extras... let me go and chase that down.

@buma:
You probably need to add the repository where 'wget' can be found, then the dependencies should be resolved by apm. (However I can't look at the .deb myself so I'm guessing. The link for some reason gives me a content-type of uknown/unknown, which our firewall blocks.)

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
@buma:
You probably need to add the repository where 'wget' can be found, then the dependencies should be resolved by apm. (However I can't look at the .deb myself so I'm guessing. The link for some reason gives me a content-type of uknown/unknown, which our firewall blocks.)
Either way I'm dropping wget as a dependency *soon* since I've got a much better idea in store. Give me a few days to pound out an idea.

oooooh... okay
after a half hour, I finally found it online, uninstalled all my repos / reinstalled all repos and then it finally showed up on my list...

@ brontide
I know you said you were going to remove that dependancy, but... um... I'm impatient

one question however on your previous work - I made all the changes to the microb about:config files and at first, it seemed slower... that is until I revisited the site a second time. But I'm guessing that's because the cache was cleared when it was resized?

and I guess i shoulda made a backup copy of the prefs.ps file prior to changing stuffs...

still - fingers crossed!

This does not do the prefs.js change so you should be fine.

The newer version ( not even started yet ) will not require wget, but for now it is what it is.

Tags
battery, performance, system, tweaks