Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by hutchinsfairy View Post
Couple of observations:
01 - If I seek to a particular point (when paused) using the progress bar then press the forward back buttons it moves from the original point, not the new one.
02 - If I hold down on any button (other than Play/Pause) the button shrinks and becomes non-functioning. I have to drag the button a bit to get it back.

@pelago Is the problem that the file doesn't start playing immediately rather than the fact that it gets appended to the playlist? Could the behaviour be changed so that if you have finished the last track on the playlist and another is added then Panucci should start playing that one? Could this be tied in with the "Stay at End" option?

PS: Using gtk version. Just tried QT version doesn't show problem 02
Hey thanks man for reporting bugs, very much appreciated. Both bugs fixed:
https://github.com/xerxes2/panucci/c...5ccd4ac1b8bde1
https://github.com/xerxes2/panucci/c...3ed47e6af18fdf

If you have more just let me know. And it's good that you test the Qt (lowercase t :P) version because on MeeGo/Harmattan that will most likely be the only one that works properly. And the "Stay at End" option makes the progress bar stay att the end of the last file in the playlist, otherwise it is reset.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
(Even worse is that 0.99 doesn't seem to remember the last played position in multiple files, which 0.3.17 does, but I assume that can be fixed. The change to a playlist-orientated design seems to be more of a fundamental/philosophical decision than a bug).
The feature about automatically resuming in multiple files is currently not implemented in 0.99.x. I talked with thp now and I'll fix it soon, I promise. And yes the other change is intended as I liked it better. And you can't play a file in panucci without using a playlist, even if it's just one file.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-05-13 at 16:42.

Let me echo pelago's plea. My only use of Panucci (and I have used it a lot) is precisely as a "Podcast and Audiobook Player" and as such, I load (long) audio files into a directory, listen to them once (in pieces over a few days), and then (usually) delete them. I like picking the next item at random after I finish the previous one. Playlists seem to be oriented for compiling lists of files to listen to as a group again and again. That is a different usage pattern and would be completely appropriate for a music player app. The requirement of putting a file in a playlist just to play it once and delete it seems out of place for a podcast player.

This usage pattern that Xerxes2 describes as "the only one I can think of that has gotten a bit worse" is _the_ reason for my using Panucci.

As pelago says, "the change to a playlist-orientated design seems to be more of a fundamental/philosophical decision". And you are quite free to make such a change. If you do so, I'd encourage you to call Panucci a multi-use audio player (or some such) rather than a podcast and audio book player to reflect the change in philosophy.

I don't begrudge playlists for anyone who wants them. And it's fine to have them as an option in Panucci. But my sense is that podcasts are generally a "listen once" sort of thing. So making playlists the primary (or only) way to bring up an audio file to listen to once is a little puzzling to me for a podcast player app.

I may be missing something and I confess that I have not upgraded because the previous behavior as pelago describes it fits my usage pattern exactly.

I have very much appreciated Panucci as a "listen once and throw away" podcast player. It's a fine piece of work. I hope to continue enjoying it for a long time.

My apologies if I have belabored this too long. The N900 was such a promising piece of hardware and I do appreciate all those who have labored long and hard to give it a life on the software side.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvergin For This Useful Post:
Podcasts usually are one file but audiobooks usually are multiple files so a playlist is required for Panucci to work properly. Doesn't 0.3 has a playlist? Also, what's the problem with clearing the playlist? Go to the menu and chose "Clear Playlist". That way you don't ever have to even open the playlist window. For you few people that only ever use Panucci to play one file at a time I'd suggest that you fork Panucci and strip out the playlist functionality and call it "someprogram - one file podcast player".

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm sorry you feel that way. I wonder if there's a way to accommodate both use cases easily, in one app? Forking is never to be taken lightly.

I could of course add another menu item to the player window, something like "Play One" which does what you want. Would that work?

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I could of course add another menu item to the player window, something like "Play One" which does what you want. Would that work?
Sounds lovely. That keeps both main use cases right up front and handy. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Ok fixed it:
https://github.com/xerxes2/panucci/c...325fa7c93cd56d

So what it does basically is clears the playlist and adds a new file to it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spann View Post
Brilliant, thank you very much. As I said, this is one of the most useful programs on my n900.

I didn't realise it was a bug - I thought it was a design decision :-).
An update on the above - I'm now running version Panucci 0.99.1.

I note that if I listen to a file in Panucci, started from gPodder, close the file, then re-open it it does indeed auto-resume.

However, if I listen to a different file in the meantime, it forgets the position in the original file.

In the older versions of Panucci, one could listen to say a whole bunch of different podcasts, closing them part-way through, and upon resuming it would remember the individual resume point for each podcast.

Any plans to re-implement this?

Many thanks,
Spann

Did I not fix that already?
https://github.com/xerxes2/panucci/c...e4a9a384eff646

You should try it and if it doesn't work I have to take another look at it.

Edit: You find the files in /opt/panucci .

Tags
barbiestrsand