Active Topics

Somehow I feel like I'm in the vicinity of a old expanding giant star going supernova

The Following User Says Thank You to anders_gud For This Useful Post:
I hope they make a successful purchase. They need to quickly abandon Maemo and MeeGo before they lose money.

Originally Posted by Dion_ddc View Post
I hope they make a successful purchase. They need to quickly abandon Maemo and MeeGo before they lose money.
So for you could have not done it any faster. So dunno in that contex where MS is needed.
Nokia has spent certainly much over a billion to Qt/Maemo/MeeGo and as WP will anyways be ready somewhere Q1 so of course they want to get something out of the R&D spent.

Good....

Nokia can finally get back to paper business... something such a company deserves

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Don't forget that S60 devices (the business centric and dumbphones) are Nokias biggest sellers and the only thing keeping the company profitable at the moment.
MS doesn't have anything to replace Symbian with on the lower end devices and that's where Nokias staple income resides.
There's no need to buy nokia when WP is already shipping on a number of hardware manufacturer's devices, and it's not like Nokia has a monopoly on well designed hardware anymore......

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Doubt the finnish government will allow this to happen.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Doubt the finnish government will allow this to happen.
What does that matter? About 15% of Nokia is owned by Finns, goverment doesn't own Nokia.
Goverment has feeded a lot of money to Nokia in other ways so they could demand some back like Nokia had to pay in Germany when they left. Though the laws in Germany concerning these are very strickt so i don't know if that would even happen in Finland.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
The reason Eldar is still doing his crazy predictions is because threads/newsitems like these exist wich give him enaugh credit to leave his mom's basement for a day or two. He is sometimes right, but so is my trustworthy coin. Combine that with some knowhow and voila.

The threads title has been discussed before, it could happen in the future. This is a known rumor for some time now.

But I am sorry to have contributed in that wich I had thought not to become involved in, ofc meaning the indirect feeding of a troll :P

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Think about Microsofts business.
They develop software and sell licenses to other companies.
By buying Nokia, they would lose their biggest customer for WP7 licenses and hand in hand with that they'd lose any other manufacturer out there because it's obvious that they'd prefer "their own" hardware manufacturer, causing bad sales for all the others.

Not going to happen.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Maybe they want to be more like Apple and bring it all in-house. Imagine a MS designed phone, running WPx and linking to Xbox Live, the MS App store, etc. etc. There are many MS-lovers who would buy-in to that in a big way. My son would by an Xbox-phone tomorrow regardless of what I advised him to do.

If that increased their marketshare, selling the OS to other manufacturers would become more profitable as they could ramp up the prices. If the other manufacturers opt-out, they sell more of their own-brand phones. It's a win-win (big assumption on marketshare increasing).

MS would also get lots of IP rights from such a purchase, maybe they would like to merge some MeeGo code into WP7 = WeeGo anyone? ;-p (joke!)

Tags
eldar, goodbye nokia, prophet eldar