Poll: would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?
Poll Options
would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Germany ...
Thanks 4 to info with the not installed power kernel!
Than I dont install this kernel only because of bt5 - the risc of instability etc. is to high 4 me. With easy debian I can install most of the hacking tools 2.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Thanks that made me understand but have the same as Mr. Incredible, so I think my download is corrupted or something.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
@mr_pingu
There is a typo in SuperDumb's how to. (path should be /bt5/)
Use the description in the first post.

But it still won't work. I have another MD5 sum then the ones posted.
I'm redownloading the .img from ifile.it now.

Last edited by Mr. Incredible; 2011-05-16 at 17:16.

Originally Posted by michaelxy View Post
Thanks 4 to info with the not installed power kernel!
Than I dont install this kernel only because of bt5 - the risc of instability etc. is to high 4 me. With easy debian I can install most of the hacking tools 2.
For what it's worth, running BT5 in a chroot is exactly the same level of risk as running Debian in a chroot, no more and no less. The kernel is different, true, but it isn't going to cause instability. Also, to be honest, if stability is paramount to you, you should be using a phone that actually has official updates put out for it once in awhile.

Last edited by sequel7; 2011-05-16 at 17:55.

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
/mnt/bt5 gets created in / on the n900 itself? Is that right or should it be in /MyDocs/mnt/bt5?
Dont like the idea it sits in /, wont that take up rootfs space?
As Gi0 kind of said, it won't take up any of your rootfs space at all. Mounting an image like you are doing is basically similar to creating a link. While you you can access the data at /mnt/bt5, it is not actually stored there. It's stored wherever you put bt5.img.

The Following User Says Thank You to sequel7 For This Useful Post:
One can run "x11vnc -storepasswd" to achieve the same effect as vncpasswd.

More info: http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/x11v...pt-storepasswd

made it work all the way except at the vncstart part, it is supposed to be mounted and all and with the vnc server up and running but when i use presence vnc to connect, it always says connection lost... sttrange

after that i used vncstop and at the end said no proccess to kill or something like that, so vncstart necer worked?

what do you guys suggest

cheers

edit: made it work somehow.... but i still havent been able to change the display to 800x470

Last edited by arnoldux; 2011-05-16 at 19:22.

Originally Posted by arnoldux View Post
made it work all the way except at the vncstart part, it is supposed to be mounted and all and with the vnc server up and running but when i use presence vnc to connect, it always says connection lost... sttrange

after that i used vncstop and at the end said no proccess to kill or something like that, so vncstart necer worked?

what do you guys suggest

cheers
with VNC running, do an `lsof -i -P -n` and see if it lists the VNC server as having a port open, it should be 5901 by default.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Got it working, but is it just me or is it ABSOLUTELY unusable due to slow speed?
EDIT: Hm the problem is more of that vnc crashed randomly.. like it just stops running and my vnc viewer crashes

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Greece
Originally Posted by Unhuman View Post
Got it working, but is it just me or is it ABSOLUTELY unusable due to slow speed?
i m overclocked to 1Ghz and its working pretty good