Active Topics

Notices

Having just made my switch from Symbian S60 V9 (Nokia E60) to the Maemo (Nokia N900), one of the things that I miss a lot is network data use frugality that were fundamental in the Symbian. I could have set individual controls to data access of each app, and even within apps, and monitor the usage live in the Connection Manager.

I have only 30MB a month on T-Mobile USA prepaid service, which was more than enough for 24x7 text based emails and Google Maps search and navigation with pre-cached maps. I know in 2011 30MB is nothing, but I am also not ready to spend $100 a month on data service. This is why I had chosen to buy an unlocked N900for a retail price, rather than iPhone with contractual obligations.

HERE IS THE QUESTION: What are the available, if any, add-ons to the Maemo system that could help me continue with my email access within the frugal data-plan limitations? Please share suggestions!

Thank you.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You could install netstory, for example. Though I think you should easily find a better prepaid service, that should be possible, especially in the States...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
That's a thing I miss about Symbian. Only things I want connect, and they connect where I want them and I can have each app connect to a different network interface. I am sure it can be done with some Linux wizardry (I don't know, iptables maybe?) but the way it was done on Symbian made me feel I'm in control despite having to make an extra tap or two... Btw the WP phone I'm trying out just published my location without my permission and I'm still trying to find out what happened... Bad things happen when apps connect liberally to the net.
Rant over
________
SIDE EFFECTS OF AVANDIA

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
On settings-Phone-Home network data counter you can configure it to ask you every n MB you download. It can help.

Personal Dataplan Monitor shows the thing on desktop if it is what you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
On settings-Phone-Home network data counter you can configure it to ask you every n MB you download. It can help.
- Yeah I have tried that, but it doesn't gives control what those MBytes are used for, just informs user that they are being spent.

Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
Personal Dataplan Monitor shows the thing on desktop if it is what you need.
- Installed that tool on day one, and my heart sinks every time I go onto GPRS link and look at the counter.

Originally Posted by qwazix
I am sure it can be done with some Linux wizardry
- That is exactly what I hope to find out through this thread discussion.

Originally Posted by qwazix
WP phone I'm trying out just published my location without my permission .... apps connect liberally to the net
- EXACTLY! This is my BIG problem with latest generation of Smart-phones and why I opted out to buy N900 last month which is essentially more than a two year old device. I miss my Nokia E60 experience.

Last edited by Discoveryellow; 2011-05-19 at 04:16.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
You know, try googling data capping for ubuntu or debian. Chances are the things you find will work on maemo too.
________
MsFinty live

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:53.