Active Topics

Have had my n900 for about 1year and 4months and just found a small thing about my n900 that i didnt know before but I think is very helpful, in fact its possible that it has been introduced in a recent update and i was not aware.

Basically at times i have found using the blue shift key on the keyboard to type one of the blue characters a bit awkward or even annoying... lets say if you want to type * instead of trying to hold the blue shift and press A or press blue shift twice, try to hold down the A key for just over 1 second and voila no need to use the blue shift key.

This applies to all blue characters.

Last edited by windows7; 2011-06-15 at 21:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
...or press the blue shift key then A to get the same effect.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
...or press the blue shift key then A to get the same effect.
i see... well didn know about that either

I learnt that one when trying to type IP addresses, when after the last PR update they broke how the keyboard worked.
You used to be able to lock on the blue shift key and a long keypress would select a white letter; so a full stop character in an IP address could easily be accessed with a long key press; where as now you have to drop out of blue shift mode, pretty much making it useless for anything other than phone numbers.

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
I learnt that one when trying to type IP addresses, when after the last PR update they broke how the keyboard worked.
You used to be able to lock on the blue shift key and a long keypress would select a white letter; so a full stop character in an IP address could easily be accessed with a long key press; where as now you have to drop out of blue shift mode, pretty much making it useless for anything other than phone numbers.
interesting...
actually would make sense if the oposite was possible, for example activate blue shift, which allows to type just blue numbers, then with the feature i just found, having the hability to hold down the key for over 1 second to activate the normal characters like the dot. just an idea...

Last edited by windows7; 2011-06-15 at 20:00.

Yeah, that's how it used to work but the last PR update broke it.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Romania
If you double press the blue shift key and type, just the blue symbols will be inserted. The same thing happens if you double press shift, caps lock will be on. And if you wanna type a number on the qwerty, press the blue shift key once, then press a button from the first row, and a number will be typed in phone directly, if you keep pressing the number keys without shift, the numbers will be the input.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Useful info for those who didn't have it (e.g. me)

Maybe consider a slightly less generic subject line (e.g. "Tip: Get blue special characters without pressing blue arrow key" or something). I'm not saying my example is good, but it gets the idea across...

The Following User Says Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Useful info for those who didn't have it (e.g. me)

Maybe consider a slightly less generic subject line (e.g. "Tip: Get blue special characters without pressing blue arrow key" or something). I'm not saying my example is good, but it gets the idea across...
Title changed!

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_shortcuts_and_gestures

^^ it's all there