Active Topics

I have a question, if we try to install ubuntu then install wine in it,Then we might get it run just ike in real desktop

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
We already can install ubuntu, just use the search feature. And that is not how architectures work. Are you trolling or 3/4's stupid.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by shardul View Post
I have a question, if we try to install ubuntu then install wine in it,Then we might get it run just ike in real desktop
No.

Desktop CPU = x86
N900 CPU = ARM

they are not compatible. that's why you can't just take desktop programs and run them in wine on the N900, even if wine itself runs.

that's what you'd need qemu for. and it runs too slow to be of any use.

can wine in extras-devel run Windows CE applications (a lot of PDAs used ARM cpus and ran WinCE)?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Is qemu on the N900 already running the fastest it can, or would there be somthing to be done that could improve the performance? (dunno, some copiler flag, adding libraries for wrapping audio and video calls to use the hardware acceleration avaiable on the N900 etc, dunno really...)

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Here's a link to the thread from damion who compiled qemu-i386 for the n900 and created a working x86-chroot with wine:
x86-wine on n900 with qemu
I think it was damion who made that youtube videos of notepad and solitair running on the n900.

Is qemu on the N900 already running the fastest it can, or would there be somthing to be done that could improve the performance?
Not sure if damion compiled qemu with neon optimizations but performance will allways be limited because you have to emulate a x86-cpu on ARM.

Qemu-i386 is usefull to run some small linux-x86 binaries on the n900, i. e. console apps without much library dependecies.
If you want to run win32-binaries you need a x86 chroot environment with a working wine installation. If you are lucky or smart you will get it to work but it won't be fast enough to run full desktop applications.

hi, wanted to run palringo on my N900. there is a download file for linux and states it will run on 'wine'. anybody tried this? thanks.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
And maybe could I decompile from x86 and recompile for ARM?

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

Tags
wine ?