Active Topics

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
Already is!
That is for developers, not other contributors (testers, wiki writers, trolls with high Thanks! count etc.).

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Well, we won't get the N9 until a few weeks from now.
Anyone want to help out on #maemo cracking open the EMMC firmware images Nokia's handing out? They'll likely boot on the N900, given that they run on an OMAP3 3630 and the same GPU, a SGX530.
What would be a few weeks? July would be nice, August still... but September seems almost a bit too late, shortly before Windows Phone announcements...

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
The device has 64GB internal memory! The more demos I see of it, the more I want one.

The Following User Says Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
That is for developers, not other contributors (testers, wiki writers, trolls with high Thanks! count etc.).
Hey, that's me! But I don't want one...

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
How can you be so damn sure you need more than 1Ghz!?!?!?

People should learn to not only read how cool HW spec and thinks its the only thing that is important. Cause its not!
i can be damn sure i wanted more GPU than the (now) anaemic SGX530.

regardless, i will buy the phone, looks great.

Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
You seem to be hard sell. No, it doesn't have artificial intelligence with 3D holographic display that can read your mind. Well in this challenging case, I recommend holding it in your hands and trying it out. It's like nothing before yet it's instantly easy to use.
Saying that "The N9 is very much about world's firsts" such as the features you listed, implies that without those features the N9's appeal would be very much reduced.

IMO this is not true. I assume it would still have:
  • a largely open, linux-based OS.
  • a flashy new UI.
  • a fast and capable web browser.
  • a great quality (albeit 4:3) camera.
  • great build quality.
  • free, off-line sat-nav capabilities.
  • USB host capabilities.

None of which are world's firsts... Nokia has done them all before.

Originally Posted by barrieluv View Post
Well, I'm almost sold.

No hardware keyboard. Honestly, I can take it or leave it. I use both hardware and software keyboards on my N900.
Honestly... If you can put up with the software keyboard on the N900, you will be in for a treat.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
I've been away quite a bit (moved on to other systems, like many others...) so excuse me for not knowing this off-hand, couldn't find the information here very easily either, so: will this N9 UI be available on the N900 through some Nokia/non-Nokia project? I remember that there used to be some talk about such things, but what's the currect status - will Nokia help people upgrade to the N9 UI? I'm really not interested in the standard Meego UI, it looks terrible to tell you the truth, but this new Meego-Harmattan from the N9 is at least interesting, so any chance of this coming to the N900 at some point?

Originally Posted by Mobilesynthesist View Post
I need some convincing here. I want this phone, but I fear Omap3. Any knowledge about DSP coming into rescue over this issue?
How about this first impression:

Originally Posted by engadget
What we can say about all these aspects of the interface is that they're done exceedingly well and make the somewhat aged OMAP3630 processor look terrific. Fluid animations are evident throughout, navigation is natural, and this marks a major advance over anything else Nokia has given us on the software front in terms of touch-based UI.
Is that really not good enough, just because the numbers don't look exciting? I could understand nervousness if you are big on gaming and want to be sure that games on your phone can get those last few polygons on the screen, but if gaming is your primary concern, then you should obviously go with a bigger platform anyway. Some 3D games that will be available for the N9 also look gorgeous and run completely fluidly.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????