Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
but windows phone 7 doesnt sell, it have poor sales.
At least Microsoft admitted to their sales. Let's see Nokia do the same for the N900.

Willing to bet it was lower than the WP7 phones.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Does it sell even worse than maemo based handset(s)?

You can run a marketing campaign blitz to push the N9 onto the masses, but I don't think it would 'cling' onto the plebs like the iPhone did, cause:

- It doesn't have the swanky 'Apple' brand/image/logo for them to treat it as a jewelry/status symbol/religious icon.
- It doesn't have a big content store like the iTunes store to populate their devices with constant stream of nonsense.
- It doesn't have as smooth/native hardware ecosystem like Apple does. The iPhone connects and automatically sync craps across and with other devices already in Apple's universe (the desktops, notebooks, other ipods, ipads, and the iwhatnots).

- It's not as well supported by the '3rd parties':

Do you know that the iPhone can connect to special Nike shoes and heart rate monitors to autolog your trainings, log them online and provide with customized and interactive exercises?

Do you know that it can also be used as wireless viewfinder for the Contour series of very portable HD cams?

Do you know that it can be used as a bloodpressure monitor and weight log/grapher with Withings devices?

etc.

Different priorities, different interests; all of which are required to sustain real products.

The 'real' product universe runs on money. You can't just throw time, interest and effort like the codes on FOSSworld.
only number we have 600,000

WP7 shipments were 1.6m q1 between samsung, LG, asus, dell, HTC.

so i would say yes. they are terrible.
at @gerick Microsoft "said" they had "shipments" of 2m on Q4, and probably didn't sold half that.
eldar marks around 600k-700k sold to consumers.

sales are so bad operators are giving samsung focus and many phone like HTC HD 7 for free.
eldar marks sales around 700

Last edited by jo21; 2011-07-05 at 22:32.

only number we have 600,000
Where did you get that number? I've had this "answered" in the past, but that number wasn't "definite". Just curious.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
eldar
Stopped reading here.

Anyway, I could see Nokia getting a whole lot of traction with N9 marketing through a "Return of the King"-type campaign. One of the things that's been mentioned by Nokia when discussing the N9 is the amount of former Nokia users who like it enough to make the switch back. Makes a whole lot of sense to play on that idea.

I've been trying to keep up with all the hype on the N9, and I think I'll probably give it a shot when it becomes available assuming it's not priced at some obscene amount. What I'm wondering is whether anyone knows of any other Meego phone coming in the immediate future. There have been plenty of mentions of other companies working on a Meego phone, but nothing that I've seen of any possible release dates.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
I think the responce to the N9 will make some people look up and take notice of Meego, but i wouldnt expect anything for 12 months. Likewise Nokia may bring out another device in 12 months, its still early days in the game and things could change. Positive sales and good feed back to Harmattan UI combined with a souring of the relationship with MS could lead the board to quietly push Meego development.

If other manufacturers catch wind of this, it may spur them on more.

The Following User Says Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
I think the responce to the N9 will make some people look up and take notice of Meego.
People are already talking about MeeGo, but they're in OEM circles. As far as it goes, this really isn't "true" MeeGo, but that means not much really since this is Harmattan on top of MeeGo 1.2.

Until other handsets come out with MeeGo on it, then this is "it" for quite a while. Too bad it has so much controversy surrounding it (read: Elop).

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
People are already talking about MeeGo, but they're in OEM circles.
Yes, OEM's and brands. They will see that a powerful UI can be built on it, more importantly, it can be unique with a central app environment.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
I think the responce to the N9 will make some people look up and take notice of Meego, but i wouldnt expect anything for 12 months. Likewise Nokia may bring out another device in 12 months, its still early days in the game and things could change. Positive sales and good feed back to Harmattan UI combined with a souring of the relationship with MS could lead the board to quietly push Meego development.

This would be nice. Another meego device would be great. But for now, I'm running around on the dark side and showing my disappointment. A series of devices would have get nokia back on track...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

I think for nokia the n9 is not really about meego. Its what you can do with Qt on top of any OS. That is why I actually believe them when they say there will be software updates and new features, because it probably can all be done in Qt.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????