Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Yeah. But I still don't see where the WP7 (without Qt) fits in the big picture.
It may change. I think Micro**** IS intrested in QtWebkit and maybe also QtQuick but not the C++ API.....

This doesnt mean it will go closed source cause THAT will not be possible. But some of the Qt technology may infacts intrests Microsoft too.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by NOMOS View Post
Did you even read what I wrote? You are highly welcome to discuss and dislike the device, obviously, but it seems you don't really want to discuss it, just repeat your own disappointment, which really does not further the discussion, does not tell us anything new, nor do your points add anything else, since you are repeating yourself, continuously.

Few questions:
1 Is there any thing that you do like about the N9?
2 Can you imagine that people that just want Fb, twitter, Skype, maps a webbrowser and a sleek interface be happy with this device? (I can)
3 What if real MeeGo iso Harmattan would run on the N9, due to the community, would you like it any better?
4 Are you of the opinion that the raw specs of e.g. the Galaxy S2 would mean that users should steer clear of the N9, even if the UI and apps were to perform perfectly fine on the device?
I'll remind you that I've answered them or pointed them out elsewhere before. Also, kudos for asking the good questions that Nokia should be asking its fans/customers/developers/hackers. It's a shame they don't ask questions like these themselves and get it from more than just one curmudgeon like myself, as much as I value my own opinion there are far too many people out there with far more money and interest in purchasing a new device.

1) Yes, of course--I pointed out that I am glad they used a really attractive and power-saving AMOLED screen. Debatable is whether it was good or bad to lose the hardware keyboard (I personally prefer NOT to have a keyboard, so that's another point in my court), but a good keyboard MIGHT make it attractive even to me. Debatable again is the capacative screen--but I think I prefer the much more accurate stylus resistive screens with pressure sensitivity and everything else that comes with that, especially as I and others I talk to do sometimes use these portable devices for everything from signatures to artwork. I VERY much dislike the increasingly closed UI/OS over the N900, over the N8x0, etc., I VERY much dislike the move away from a desktop experience--which was one of the biggest differentiators between Nokia's Maemo devices in the past from their competition... this WAS a grown-up's device, not just another ME TOO iPhone competitor. I would have liked a bigger screen but I could give or take that if everything else was better. There you go--take some good and take some bad.

2) I can imagine them being just as happy or happier on any other device doing those same things, too--with OFFICIAL and better supported applications. What's the advantage here?

3) Yes. This would influence me very positively, since I'm not ENTIRELY happy with MeeGo yet but I like its direction greatly--especially if I can swap out all the closed-source with open to suit my own needs and it can suit everyone else with the closed, if they so choose. Maemo/Harmattan has turned into a sour project with this release.

4) Not necessarily--but I think Nokia has damaged their own brand and their customer experience enough to make pure hardware specs far less relevant. Their ecosystem is damaged (i.e. OviStore is ruined, Symbian as an OS is ruined for support, same for Maemo), their hardware is so-so (competition runs the entire gamut from poor and cheap, to expensive and still affordable , to fancy and expensive--and they keep putting out newer and more interesting devices month after month, not one-a-year) and most of their competition are featured in stores where you can physically walk in and immediately walk out with a repaired or replaced device the same day and you get to talk face-to-face and at LEAST walk out with paperwork to show that they are working on the device if you must leave it overnight. The Nokia experience has been, at least here in the US and it seems all across the continent, utterly frustrating and you have to have a LOT of faith in many moving parts (mail delivery, Nokia repair, whether they have parts, whether it ships back okay, etc.). I'm not sure that competing on raw hardware specs alone is enough anymore. Not everybody likes or will like the Samsung G2, but you bet your [adjective] [body part] that they can at least walk back into the store even an hour later, a week later, MONTHS later and hands-on touch, feel and buy something else they CAN like all in the same hour, much less day even if it costs some money to do so (and it usually doesn't).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
N9 and Meego Harmattan is pissing on Android, Wp7 and IOS thats why Android geeks is affraid now.
Looking at all those graphs I showed earlier, Nokia isn't exactly in any position to piss up on anyone else--they're far more likely to end up pissing all over themselves trying.

Btw I heard Elop/Ballmer is pissing in they'r painties every night cause theyr are affraid getting fired.
Really? That's not what I heard.
Listen to the audio clip with the reporter asking him what he thinks about the rumors that Steve Balmer needs to go:
http://www.geekwire.com/2011/steve-ballmer

I suspect Balmer and Elop are far too well protected within their own bubble and hubris to feel concerned about that.

Meego Harmattan RULES
I agree with only half that statement. (take out Harmattan)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I want a tshirt who says:

"Elop you WP platform is burning! Meego Harmattan is your help"

Originally Posted by danramos View Post

I agree with only half that statement. (take out Harmattan)
You forget that some of the components in harmattan is opensource but not merged back to Meego cause of political reasons (trackerd for syncing etc) and the fact that core Meego 1.2 doesnt even have latest Qt.

So stuff from harmattan IS needed for Meego.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
You forget that some of the components in harmattan is opensource but not merged back to Meego cause of political reasons (trackerd for syncing etc) and the fact that core Meego 1.2 doesnt even have latest Qt.

So stuff from harmattan IS needed for Meego.
I didn't forget, but it's certainly worth noting that distinction. Thanks!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I want a tshirt who says:

"Elop you WP platform is burning! Meego Harmattan is your help"

"Elop is fired 2012. I can't wait"

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
"Elop is fired 2012. I can't wait"
I wonder if we could sell that on T-shirts all around Finland? I'm sure it'll be a HOT seller amongst the masses of people that were laid off or quit during his reign of power at the company.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Ahh, the joys of ignore lists..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
i dont have to write a bible to prove my point ! you have been trolling for a long time i mean crying ... nokia this , maemo that , if u have nothing nice to say dont say nothing at all ! thank you

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????