Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Genius marketing really, calling it polycarbonate instead of the commonly used name "plastic" ;-)
I'd say that it is only Nokias engineer roots. plastic isn't always plastic.

PE, PVC, PS, PA, POM, PP, PTFE, PVDV, PMMA, PC, PETP, PPO, PUR, PF, SI
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Genius marketing really, calling it polycarbonate instead of the commonly used name "plastic" ;-)
well, i suppose the core of my attraction is the fact it is a unibody polycarbonate shell.

touch as old boots presumably..........

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
If the n950 broken due to dropping on floor, case broken or screen scatch, then bring to Nokia Care repair, it is so fun I feel
LOL

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
well, i suppose the core of my attraction is the fact it is a unibody polycarbonate shell.

touch as old boots presumably..........
Everyone these days uses some sort of a rubbery case for their phones. N9 material will eliminate the need for that

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Everyone these days uses some sort of a rubbery case for their phones. N9 material will eliminate the need for that
True as long as nothing brakes inside, or gorilla glass pops out.
Rubbery material would absorb some shock. With polycarbonate and gorilla glass the inside will take shock too. It remains to be seen how durable this device will be.

As for n950, sooner or later there will be an issue with the main flat.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
not I.

I am quite happy with the N9 given the polycarbonate body and curved amoled screen.
Are you happy with the keyboard on the N9

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Thats how apple doit

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
I've been thinking about the whole N950 vs N9 alot recently.

although i haven't touched either or seen them in the flesh. i reckon the N9 would win out.

My reasoning is the N950 has more movable parts in it and is not a solid piece. so if i threw an n9 and an n950 at each other enough times i think the n950 would come out worse.

on a more serious note though i think the fact that the n950 isn't for sale and won't be means it's lost. remember most people want something because they can't have it. we often think something is better because we've convinced ourselves it is, even if it's not. my example could be about apple's but instead i'll use the portrait mode on the n900. lots of demands for it in the whole system rather then just 1 or 2 native applications. personally i've always seen it as a landscape device and now that you can have portrait mode in stuff the people i know who were screaming murder for it don't even use it. so just because the n950 has a keyboard doesn't mean it's better.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I have the N950, and even so I think I will get the N9 when I have the money to do so. Probably I'm just the minority here, but I find the vkbd easier to use (at least on N950) than the tiny keys of these kinds of mobile devices. There's no way I can do 10-finger typing with either hwkbd or vkbd. With that advantage gone, the vkbd feels easier and faster for me. The only thing I'm missing is the lack of arrow keys in vkbd, and that could be fixed in updates.

And having both N950 and N9 would not be a waste I think. Then I could solely use N950 for development and testing stuff, without fearing I would mess up something in the phone I use for day-to-day stuff.

I'm really liking this OS. I've tried to introduce the device as a new member of the family, but the wife resists. I think I'll never undestand women.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
@ajalkane

are you coming from using the n900 as your day to day mobile to using touch screen keyboard? i've often found it a little annoying writing on a vkb

do you mind me asking what your developing? i'm curious to know what people are bring out. i don't have the patience to learn how to develop, most my time is spent keeping up with changes in work and making reports in excell

Tags
community, develop, n950 n9, who cares