Active Topics

Notices

Lifted from the BeBeCe cuteTube thread because bit off topic...

For those that don't know: get_iplayer is a great terminal app that permits the playback of better quality video than can be streamed. At the moment, it only covers BBC radio and tv programmes, even though other channels' schedules are listed on the iplayer site. Radio can be listened to throughout the world (afaik) and for various reasons, tv via a UK ISP only.

Originally Posted by munkiii View Post
My get_iplayer downloads play out of sync and jerky, so i have to convert them using a pc.

This applies to the flv files get_iplayer downloads first, and the mp4 files that get_iplayer creates from converting the flv file.

But, when i transfer the mp4 file to the other half's Nokia N8, they play fine.
Couple of suggestions:
- try overclocking a little - say to 850 during playback. Revert to 600 for normal usage if you like. The N8 is, I think, less capable but more polished than the N900 so probably a driver bottleneck or something.
- downgrade the record quality using mode=flashlo

Originally Posted by demolition
Has anyone had any problems playing the mp4 files downloaded with get_iplayer? I assume they're h264? I keep getting the Unable to play media, bad codec message. Thought I had all available codecs installed? And the media player can see + get length of these files... very strange
At the moment, I can only get get_iplayer to work as 'root'. So long as I cd to a directory in MyDocs then all's well - first time I used it I accidentally filled up rootfs so system kept complaining.

My tips:
Think I've sussed out how to get what I want for radio, even if I can't find a pid...
  • cd to the folder you want to record to,
  • Find the desired item on the iplayer site with the browser
  • Copy the uri
  • Type the following into the terminal (as root if necessary):
    Code:
    get_iplayer <uri> --type=radio
    Replace <uri> with the uri of the item you want to record; no angle-brackets.

TV is another matter. I have a number of mp4 files waiting to be watched. I assume the encoding is h264. My get_iplayer upgraded itself to v2.79 as soon as I started to use it, might that be a problem?
Are the files reslly h264 and is there a way to get them to play?
How can Idiagnose what the problem is?

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Have you tried the "Hide user agent" and used the Android user agent then just opened the iplayer from the BBC website?

As the BBC iplayer seems to run OK on my unclocked N900 with a good wi-fi connection?

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
@droitwichgas,
Thanks for tip about HUA. No, not tried that yet.
Watching things streamed is "ok" - yeah I don't need to o/c, though it's a bit better at 850MHz cf 600. I was hoping for a higher res, which I could pipe out to a TV if I wanted. Streaming only works with the 396kbps version, where as normal video playbackshould be fine at double that.
From what you say, it seems like you haven't tried get_iplayer, is that correct? Can you play mp4 h264 files?

Not sure if downloaded TV files are still a problem but I've had success with --modes=flashlow1 option in get_iplayer. Always got a file that worked (at least with mplayer/SiB).

The Following User Says Thank You to gs1 For This Useful Post:
If the cpu is wound up to 850MHz "flashstd" (h264/mp4, 500kbps, 640 x 360) can be played with mplayer. I cannot play the 800kbps (640 x 360) videos (also h264 mp4), even with the cpu at 1100MHz.
- None of these play with the built in media player.