Active Topics

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Polska
Help

I have a big problem with Polish keyboard debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2.
I do not know how I can get the Polish characters on the keyboard (ą, ć, ę, ł, ń, ó, ś, ź, ż). I tried a modified rx-51 króry creates shortcuts Ctrl + Fn + a = ą, , and so with others.
- http://forum.gsmcenter.pl/poradniki-...ej-t16971.html
The keyboard is ok but maemo in easy debian "circus". At the Fn + CTRL + e = ł. There is no numeric keypad Fn + q = 1/Fn+q=@. There is no heaven there other characters only.
Synchroot I've done before and after and I do the same. The autostart I (setxkbmap
#xkbset exp 60 =sticky =twokey =latchlock
#xkbset sticky -twokey latchlock
@lxde-settings-daemon
@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm -d
@setxkbmap pl)

On page 119 he was already on but for me there is something wrong.
Even as I return to the original and the rx-51 will still have synchroot bushes and lack of Fn
please help

Thank you and best regards

Last edited by istota; 2011-09-01 at 12:46.

While browsing via Iceweasel, and trying to book tickets for upcoming Tori Amos show, I was surprised to found java web form, that was *not* working in Iceweasel or microB, while works perfectly in desktop Firefox. It was first time I was not able to use web form via my N900 and had to use desktop.

While trying to access page, I got this error: (see attachments)

Any clues?
Attached Images

-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@Estel:
There is some problem with that java pluginappletviewer. As the error message suggests please un the browser from a terminal with the -g switch! e.g:
Code:
debbie iceweasel -g
Then open the problematic website. The browser will crash again but this time you should get a more useful error message on the terminal. Please post it here! Most likely I'll not be able to help since I'm no java expert, but I'm sure somebody else here is.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I'll try if calling xmodmap or xbindkeys via autostart will make the keyboard work properly even in Squeeze.
Ok, I tried that but as I expected it didn't change anything.

But then I found this tip from qole:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
- enable blue keys on N900 keyboard in LXDE: copy /usr/share/X11/xkb directory to your chroot
I did this and now my keyboard works fine even in Squeeze. Of course that directory was overwritten with the files from the standard Debian repository during the dist-upgrade.

The only problem that remains is the lost focus after switching to another application and then returning back to ED. I guess that has something to do with /usr/bin/set-focus which works fine when ED is started but somehow doesn't (or more likely: isn't even called) when returning from another application.
Does somebody happen to know how the whole set-focus thing works? It's a C binary and unfortunately I couldn't find its source code or the mechanism how it is called.

As for the gconf2 troubles:
Either I'm not running any problematic software or that problem must have been solved somehow. However, I haven't noticed any problems related to that. If someone can give me a test scenario, I'd like to verify that. (please note: I no longer have OpenOffice or Gimp in my image and I don't intend to reinstall these huge packages again so any suggested scenario should work without them.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Hi, New to Debian and just installed on the N900, it looks and runs great, so a big thanks to the developer(s)!

I have a question/problem. I'm getting all sorts of unmet dependencies when I try to install apps via the Synaptic Package Manager. So, I tried enabling a bunch more of the repositories (well, all of them!). That only made thi gs worse, I'm afraid.

So my question is, what are the "default", optimal repositories that should be enabled? And what should I do about unmet dependencies?

(Specifically I was trying to get mplayer installed.)

Thanks a ton, I'm looking forward to experimenting with Easy Debian a whole lot!

Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
I have a question/problem. I'm getting all sorts of unmet dependencies when I try to install apps via the Synaptic Package Manager.
Easy Debian is a mix of mainly two Debian releases. It's about 1/3 Lenny or Oldstable (the previous release) and 2/3 Squeeze or Stable (the current release). In general mixing releases is a bad idea because it easily breaks things. However in this case this mix was necessary to get a working system because some functions depend on interactions with Maemo which uses software that is between those two Debian releases.
This is why it's pretty hard to add new software to Easy Debian.

So, I tried enabling a bunch more of the repositories (well, all of them!). That only made thi gs worse, I'm afraid.
Yes, this made things worse. I'd suggest to start with a fresh image. I usually have 3 images of Easy Debian on my N900:
1. The one I'm working with which contains all the changes I've made.
2. A backup of 1. which is in a state I believe to be working in case 1. breaks.
3. A stock image in case I was wrong with 2.

Currently I even have 5 images, 1. and 2. for Lenny and Squeeze. I'm trying to sort that mixed release problem out by doing a full dist-upgrade to Squeeze so that there are no packages from Lenny left. If you read the last two pages of this thread you'll find that I'm pretty close to a solution but to be honest I'm not yet sure if I'll be successful. If I am I'll lose sound support in Easy Debian but I'm fine with that.

So my question is, what are the "default", optimal repositories that should be enabled?
If it was a normal Debian the answer would be to only activate the Stable repository but this is no normal Debian and there is no easy answer.

And what should I do about unmet dependencies?
The only thing you can do is to try to upgrade or install a package, watch very attentively what changes this will cause and maybe abort the process (and depending on the situation chose another repository to install the package from). To judge that needs quite a lot of experience. I'm sorry, but there is no easy answer.

(Specifically I was trying to get mplayer installed.)
Pretty long ago I did that too. I think I remember that the version from Lenny Multimedia was working better than the one from Squeeze. But I found it doesn't make much sense. mplayer is also available for Maemo and there it will be able to profit from some hardware acceleration. So if your goal is not to tinker with Easy Debian but to get a working mplayer I'd suggest to install it in Maemo.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
@Estel:
There is some problem with that java pluginappletviewer. As the error message suggests please un the browser from a terminal with the -g switch! e.g:
Code:
debbie iceweasel -g
Then open the problematic website. The browser will crash again but this time you should get a more useful error message on the terminal. Please post it here! Most likely I'll not be able to help since I'm no java expert, but I'm sure somebody else here is.
Thanks for info. Ho ever, it was first thing I've tried, and terminal reply is:

Code:
line 122: gdb: command not found
I should provide this information on first report, sorry

---

I'm glad You've practically solved you problem with keyboard! As for testing scenario, well, it involves LibreOffice, so You probably won't be interested
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks for info. Ho ever, it was first thing I've tried, and terminal reply is:

Code:
line 122: gdb: command not found
gdb is a debugger. There's a Debian package called gdb. Please install it and try again! Maybe then you'll get a useful message. Either version, Lenny or Squeeze should be fine, whatever comes with fewer dependency trouble.

I'm glad You've practically solved you problem with keyboard!
Well, as long as I can't sort out the set-focus issue I don't think a Squeeze-only ED will be very useful. I'll keep on searching.

As for testing scenario, well, it involves LibreOffice, so You probably won't be interested
Not really.

Edit:
I think I've found the set-focus problem but unfortunately I don't know how to solve it yet.

In the ED image there is the script /usr/bin/xephwm5:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
##################################
#Change these two variables to the WM of your choice.
WMNAME="$1" ; WMEXEC="$2"
[ "x$WMNAME" != x ] ||  WMNAME="Xephyr"
[ "x$WMEXEC" != x ] ||  WMEXEC="startlxde1"
##################################
export DISPLAY=:0
export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event3
export TSLIB_CALIBFILE=/etc/pointercal
export GTK_MODULES=libgtkstylus.so
zenity --display=:0 --info --text="Welcome to Easy Debian LXDE. This window is needed to gain keyboard focus in LXDE. Click OK." &trl -l
/usr/bin/Xephyr :1 -screen 800x480 -br -ac &
while [ "x$PARWIN" = "x" ] ; do
  # wait for Xephyr window to appear
  export PARWIN=`wmctrl -l | grep -i $WMNAME | awk '{print $1}'`
done
DISPLAY=:1 ; habak -mf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/DroidSans-Bold.ttf \
     -ht 'Ctrl-back to return to dashboard.'
DISPLAY=:0 ; wmctrl -i -r $PARWIN -T 'Easy Debian'
wmctrl -i -r $PARWIN -b toggle,fullscreen
while [ "x$TWOWIN" = "x" ] ; do
  # wait for Zenity dialog to pop up...
  export TWOWIN=`wmctrl -l | grep -i Information | awk '{print $1}'`
done
#echo window id: $TWOWIN
wmctrl -i -a $TWOWIN
#/sbin/qobi-wmhint-fix $PARWIN
/usr/bin/set-focus $PARWIN
wmctrl -i -a $PARWIN
/usr/bin/$WMEXEC
killall Xephyr
export DISPLAY=:0
Towards the end there is this line:
Code:
/usr/bin/set-focus $PARWIN
$PARWIN contains a hexadecimal number, the identifier of the ED window in Maemo.
In my case this number is 0x04000002:
Code:
~ $ debbie wmctrl -l
[..]
0x03800059  0 Nokia-N900-02-8 Fotos
0x0380005c  0 Nokia-N900-02-8 Fotos
0x01800cd3  0 Nokia-N900-02-8 hildon-home
0x01800de0  0 Nokia-N900-02-8 hildon-home
0x01800f9f  0 Nokia-N900-02-8 hildon-home
0x018013ba  0 Nokia-N900-02-8 hildon-home
0x03217172  0 Nokia-N900-02-8 m5v3e
0x04000002  0             N/A Easy Debian
So I called set-focus manually from within the Squeeze image but got the following error message:
Code:
sh-4.1$ set-focus 0x04000002
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  42 (X_SetInputFocus)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x4000002
  Serial number of failed request:  7
  Current serial number in output stream:  7
The same thing worked fine with the image that I didn't dist-upgrade.
Does anybody have an idea? The easiest thing I can think of right now is that due to the upgrade of some C libraries set-focus doesn't work properly anymore. Unfortunately without the source code I can't even recompile it to verify that theory.

Edit:
This bug report might be helpful for understanding the general nature of the problem:
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive...DYQzZS9uVf9WRU
Right now I don't see how to adress the problem without debugging the set-focus source code.

Another edit:
Argh! Yes, there is a problem but it's less grave than I thought. The problem when switching from ED via Ctrl + Backspace is that somehow the Ctrl key gets stuck. Therefore if I return to ED pressing F in Leafpad doesn't write an "f" but opens the find dialogue. Even after closing this dialogue Ctrl is still stuck. And Ctrl + clicking window close X doesn't close windows (at least not in openbox). If I press (and release) Ctrl once after returning to ED everything is back to normal.
I guess the easiest solution would be to change the Ctrl + Backspace window switch action from key press events to release events. I'll try that, but first I need to get some sleep.
Good night everyone!

Last edited by sulu; 2011-09-01 at 23:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
@Sulu,

Thanks for the exhaustive answer. I have a question about the multiple/replacing images.

Originally, I was unable to extract the compressed image on my N900 after downloading it from the Maemo repository (continual "out of memory" messages, no matter what I tried).

So instead I copied the comnpressd image onto my XP machine, extracted it with 7Zip, and moved extracted image onto my SD card on my N900.

All that worked out fine. But now when I go to "replace the image" as you suggest - I understand this to mean, simply copying the extracted image back onto the N900 over the current one - I discovered that it seems to be exactly the same setup. (The only thing I added was AVIDemux, and it's still in the menu, but it doesn't seem to actually run if you select it, though).

So,maybe you could explain a bit more. I am a tweaker by nature, though, even though I am woefully ignorant of the technicalities of things, so I will persevere and not be daunted by the problems. I usually find my way by stumbling through! Thanks for the help.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Anyone can chime in here but I was wondering if qole would comment on or give his prognosis concerning the future of Easy Debian on N9.

Also, if anyone could comment on the main technical/software hurdles for developing Easy Debian on androids that would, I think, be of interest to many.

Thanks.

All that worked out fine. But now when I go to "replace the image" as you suggest - I understand this to mean, simply copying the extracted image back onto the N900 over the current one - I discovered that it seems to be exactly the same setup.
IIt's important to unmount the Easy Debian image before replacing it. Otherwise there will be inconsistencies (e.g. remaining menu icons). The easiest way unmount it is to click the "Close Easy Debian" icon. Then it should work fine.

As for copying images: You might have noticed that copying data takes way longer than moving it (especially on a relatively slow computer like the N900), because moving doesn't actually move data but is only a rename as long as the partition stays the same.
Therefore it would be wise to have all your images on the same partition. Exchanging them then is a bit like playing the towers of Hanoi.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Also, if anyone could comment on the main technical/software hurdles for developing Easy Debian on androids that would, I think, be of interest to many.
Just befaore I bought my N900 I tinkered with getting a Debian chroot to work in a rooted Android 2.2 SDK but I wasn't successful because 2.2 didn't yet support ext4 (or any other ext file system) and I was not able to add that support.
However some 2.2 custom builds made by people with more skills than I have included ext4 support and 2.3 even came with it as the system's file system. ext2 is also supported. So on a rooted 2.3 or a custom 2.2 a chroot should be no problem. You'll find reports for working chroots on Motorola Milestones (I don't remember the version). I don't know about GUI or sound support.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze