Active Topics

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
5) Ah, I see... I forgot to copy from /lib/firmware, I only copied the kernel modules. Thanks.

3) Are you sure you did it correctly..? From my previous experience with Ubuntu (which is A LOT, because I use it daily) DKMS builds kernel modules, which are put in /lib/modules of the kernel. When a driver is updated or added, it needs to update the modules as well in order to use em. The difference is that on PCs, you have multiple outputs, often some on the MB and some on the graphics card. Here it's embedded. We need to make the Xserver use the graphics driver instead of doing like normal.

4) I think Kubuntu resets the clock. Kubuntu is originally made for desktops, which use a motherboard battery for keeping track of the clock. It could happen that Kubuntu doesn't know how to interpret the clock on OMAP boards.

My N900 has fulfilled my dreams for it. :')
I wish they made one with an OMAP 4430 on board and 1Gb RAM...

Btw, does anyone know how to interpret the names of the firmware files? I want to know if there are any goodies there.
Oh, nvm. Just google them. They're all well known, it seems.
I loaded the BT driver, the cameras and the wireless. What more do you need? (Apart from calling. Bleh...)

Aww man... I can only connect to local computers, and not the internetz... Imma have to work on that. And I also suggest turning off the screensaver. It f*cks up everything and makes you believe your device turned off...
I am surprised that the device doesn't overheat, though.
My device boots directly to Kubuntu, as well. So that's awesome... xD

But for some reason, I can't chroot into Kubuntu from Maemo. Is it something about the internals of the executables or what?
This is the error:
Code:
chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: Exec format error
Bash/Dash works fine inside the system. Is this about hardfp?

I should've put a warning that this post would be extended a lot...

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2011-09-04 at 13:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Any experience with ofono yet? Can you at least receive calls and SMS? If yes, I'm willing to get more involved in testing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Czech Republic
hi guys. Is there some more detailed guide for 11.10 than on Kubuntu wiki? I will be happy for it.

Originally Posted by rentze View Post
Any experience with ofono yet? Can you at least receive calls and SMS? If yes, I'm willing to get more involved in testing.
Me too, if you can receive and make calls and receive and make SMS, I'll test it and help improve fulltime in production environment...

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Katowice, Poland
Is it possible to install it into eMMC?

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
MeeGo can be installed on eMMC (tried myself) so nothing prevents to do the same with kubuntu/ubuntu

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Ofono 0.41 in Ubuntu 11.04 looks like working.
I just tried commands from https://wiki.kubuntu.org/ARM/n900
And it says that it has connected. However, no voice yet. Will try Empathy instructions from https://wiki.linaro.org/Ofono/HowTo
Thanks for trying but more work appears necessary:

the very page you mentioned (https://wiki.kubuntu.org/ARM/n900) says audio is broken:

Call is defunct (no audio) though generally the call itself is deployed:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.ofono /n9000 org.ofono.VoiceCallManager.Dial string:"5551212" string:""
All is not lost, however - if someone will release a 5inch (or 7inch)
tablet (_with_hw_keyboard!) with GSM call hardware, and proper USB ports,
we could install (_not!chroot) this kubuntu into it and begin to
headstone the n900 with the dignity the n900 magnificence deserves.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
hi guys. Is there some more detailed guide for 11.10 than on Kubuntu wiki? I will be happy for it.
I've written a script, see above.
MaxOS, can you add the ofono status and information about the script to the first post, please?

Again, if you have any problems with this script, please report.

Sorry, I'm out of town and having very limited GPRS traffic, so no more testing by me yet. I'm finishing the accelBlend alpha.
But you have almost fully-automatic installation, all you have to do is just wait for an hour or two and test what you want

Last edited by int_ua; 2011-09-12 at 01:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
BTW, what software can receive SMS with Ofono?

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
BTW, what software can receive SMS with Ofono?
I can even write scripts for whiptail for receiving and sending SMS and storing the data and the same for calls, IF ofono works and you can indeed access its API...

Used those for a year on HTC Universal, which had pure Debian running, without Ofono, but it had a whiptail frontend for calling and SMSing and worked well.

I just need to know if the N900's modem is working, and you can send and recieve and SMS, and make and receive a call...

I think the SMS functionality has been confirmed as working before, so that would not be a prob, the phonecall part is what's more important though...

The whiptail scripts would be just the base, I'm sure if the basic phone functionality is working, you'd have a proper Qt frontend programmed by someone soon...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post: