Active Topics

Hi,

I'm waiting for my N810 to ship soon. Was wondering what capacity and form factor most everyone is using. Doesn't seem to be a cohesive forum post that has comments from everyone.

What I'm currently looking at are the 4GB MiniSd ones. Ranging from Kingston, Patriot, PQI, RiData (these are all listed on new egg).

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Hi,

I'm waiting for my N810 to ship soon. Was wondering what capacity and form factor most everyone is using. Doesn't seem to be a cohesive forum post that has comments from everyone.

What I'm currently looking at are the 4GB MiniSd ones. Ranging from Kingston, Patriot, PQI, RiData (these are all listed on new egg).
4Gb Kingston MiniSDHC, $25@ a few weeks ago, from Buy.com now $40@
1GB Kingston MicroSD $? long time ago for my phone.
/edit both work fine
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
I've got a Kingston 2GB Mini SD from Amazon couple of weeks ago $15 (free shipping over $25). Still available. Works great I will most likely be looking into getting a 4GB card in the future. In my experience Kingston & San Disk are consistantly reliable cards...

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ St Thomas, ON, Canada
Currently using 4 GB Kingston Mini SDHC cards in my Nokia N800.
I notice the mini card will come out of the SD adapter. Almost impossible to get the adapter out of external card. Can change mini card OK. But a problem non the less.
The internal card does not have this issue.

I was going to say buy SD cards but light bulb just went on that you have an N810 which has mini card standard.

I find the Kingston cards are quite a bit cheaper than Sandisk and class 4 and higher have lifetime warranty.

Al

my 1 gig kingston + mininadapter isnt working...pisssedd

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Tried hooking my 4 GB Kingston micro SDHC up to my desktop with a small adapter - didn't work, no surprise, did not expect my reader to be SDHC compatible.
Then tried to hook up my 810 with the SDHC inside -
COULD NOT SEE EITHER DRIVE!!
PANIC
Tried two other computers STILL COULD NOT READ ANYTHING off from the 810! Tried two different 4GB SDHC drives in 810
Power cycled 810, hooked up to PC
NO RESULTS
Removed SDHC card, power cycled now could see internal drive.
Put 4 GB cards back in
WHEW! Their BACK!!
Apparently these things are sensitive as to being plugged in.
Not ready for prime time.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Missoula, MT
I just got a Patriot 4Gb MiniSD from Newegg in the mail. Amazingly, it won't fit. The card itself is about 2 millimeters too wide to fit through the opening in the case of my N810. The card itself clearly says it's a "minisd", and it's very, very, very close to fitting, but just not quite. Has anybody else heard of a problem like this? Is the card too big, or the slot on the N810 too small? I'm completely flabbergasted that this type of problem is even possible.

Can you shave down either side with a dremel or something and make it fit?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Missoula, MT
Never mind, I'm a complete friggin' idgit. The MiniSD came packaged inside it's SD adapter. Once I realized that and took it out of the adapter it fits perfectly and the N810 recognized it instantly.

So, the good news is Patriot 4GB MiniSD's seem to work great.

Personally, if there's no signficant price/size difference, I'd stick with MicroSD over MiniSD.. N800 has two full size SDHC slots.. N810 has 1 MiniSDHC slot.. based on that trend.. the N900 or whatever might have half a MicroSDHC slot

From looks of things.. the manufacturers seem to first market Full size SD card increases, followed by MicroSD.. and then MiniSD.. and MicroSD vs MiniSD prices are comparable.. Full Size SD cards almost half as much as either..

If you dont mind the esthetics issue.. you could make one of those usb cable adapters and use a flash card reader..