Active Topics

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
I, personally, think that once Nokia releases a windows phone it will be quite good, if they get to play around a little with the OS and arent restricted to just adding ovi maps.

Personally, I think it could be quite nice to see what comes.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I'm getting a bit pissed by the fact that the n9 is not going to be sold world wide. Leaving out huge markets like US, UK, France, Germany and India is just pure insanity, I don't get it. Nokia's third quarter result will probably be a big disaster with Elop still onboard so I'd think that Nokia needs the N9 to be a success.

WP sells terribly (almost non existent in Sweden) and Symbian Belle will help a bit but as Elop more or less officially trashed that platform it will not sell that much either. And the N9 being said to be the last Meego device what's left? S40 is rumoured to be replaced by Meltemi which is not yet even officially confirmed. You don't make that much money on cheap phones anyway. Nokia's future doesn't look that bright to me, not with the current CEO at least. Replace Elop with someone that has got a clue then Nokia have got a great asset in Qt but we all know that Qt is Microsoft's worst nightmare and as long as Elop is on top the current direction straight down to hell will continue, sadly.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
Video: N9 vs GALAXY S II camera...
What do u guys think ?

http://nokiagadgets.com/2011/10/01/v...y-s-ii-camera/
It's impossible to say from a 600*200pix image that shows two non-identical photos. To be able to make a valid comparison we'd need one 100% sized photo of each phone, showing the same thing.

[/phography geek mode on]
That said, the GS2 appears to be quite warmer than the N9. It's really impossible to say if that is because of the white balance or because of sensor/ deep processing. In the N9 photo I think I can juuuuuust see a bit more detail and noise on the wooden floor below. The could be because of more heavy handed noise reduction on the GS2. Frankly, I can't reach any solid conclusion by looking at these. Any proud N9 owners care to upload a 100% photo (or even better a small test set in various lightning conditions) for us to ogle at?
[/phography geek mode off]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to giorgosmit For This Useful Post:
But it does paint a pretty picture. Toprange Nokia phones combined with the Samsung/MS collaboration could increase the awareness of WP overall, and give the OS a chance to show what its worth, and potentially rise to the challenge, then you have the lower tier phones with meltemi rocking ***.

Iunno, it kind of sounds like it might work, in a Oceans 11 kind of way.

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I'm actually thinking of helping out shipping the N9 to those that can't get it in any other way. I wonder if you can get it fixed if something is out of order or you need to replace the battery in those countries where it's not officially available.

Edit: It would not be cool if gerbick had to go back to Mexico just to replace the battery in his beloved N9.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-10-01 at 20:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Hm would it really matter? If you go to a Nokia Care Center with a Nokia phone, why would they care wether or not the phone was sold in that country or not? They just ship it off to a workshop where it is fixed and boom done deal? Probably a longer wait if they have to ship it a long *** distance, and warranties may not apply, but you should be able to get it fixed?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
It would not be cool if gerbick had to go back to Mexico just to replace the battery in his beloved N9.
That's yet another factor I'm waiting to hear about honestly. What's the deal with the warranty? No straight answers on that either.

64gb price, availability, bulk discounts (if any) are all eluding me so far. I'm beyond frustrated, might settle for a 16gb one in any color, be done with it, satisfy my completist OCD... and shut up fully.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Hm would it really matter? If you go to a Nokia Care Center with a Nokia phone, why would they care wether or not the phone was sold in that country or not? They just ship it off to a workshop where it is fixed and boom done deal? Probably a longer wait if they have to ship it a long *** distance, and warranties may not apply, but you should be able to get it fixed?
It does matter. It has surrounding the N900, I expect it to do be the same in the areas that will not carry this phone for sale and we import it without any guarantees on the warranty.

Sounds insane, but its true.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Videos: Nokia N9 how to and support videos.
http://mynokiablog.com/2011/10/01/vi...upport-videos/
Nokia's S40 replacement OS may defend against Android feature phones
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...ure-phones.ars

Engadget's cottoned-on to this rumour just now
Nokia developing 'Meltemi' OS for feature phones?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/01/n...eature-phones/

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-01 at 20:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
That is so weird that it would matter... I mean, if I go into a Nokia Store with a Nokia phone and say "i want this fixed, what will it cost me" Id expect any reasonable businessman to go "give me your number, ill check it out and ill get back to you."

Strange stuff .

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????